• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Westland-Hill Pterodactyl IV

Started by K_mars, August 09, 2011, 12:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_mars

The Westland-Hill Pterodactyl series of experimental tailess or flying wing aircraft designs were developed starting in the 1920s.Three seat cabin monoplane of 44 ft 3 in span and 19 ft 4 in length, produced in 1931. Pitch and roll control by elevons. Also a braced monoplane, the wings had variable sweep through a small range of angles, to allow longitudinal trim in flight in the absence of any horizontal stabiliser.

I want to make this attractive airplane.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Go for it Kenji,it would make a super solid model.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

I make this masterpiece machine though the cockpit and marking are uncertain.
I devise the expression of the rib of the main wing.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Kenji,the ribs do not follow the aerodynamic flow of the wings as is normal but go at an acute angle as you have observed.
The aircraft was silver doped overall with at some time a blue line running horizontally,the markings were standard red/white/blue with centre dot as red.
I will research any pictures from my files tomorrow.
There was also a fine three view drawing of the Westland-Hill Pterodactyl published in a copy of 'Flying Aces' 1936 vintage,I will also see if that can be found.
We will assist you with your project.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

I am glad of your assistance.
Perhaps, I think the first time in Japan the production of this model.

I will enjoy building this "Pterodactyl".

kenji.

Balsabasher

Kenji I have a model of the Westland Pterodactyl in my collection built several years ago,I will see if I can locate it and get a photograph to show you.
Yes yours will no doubt be the first in Japan ! finding subjects that nobody bothers with is fun to do,there are challenges with this model but that is what it is all about.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

It is pleasure to me to see your model.

kenji.

Balsabasher

Kenji I searched hard today to try and find the old plan,no result yet but I am going to keep looking for you.
Barry.

K_mars

Barry,

I thank for the search of your drawing.

Please do not overdo it.

kenji.

K_mars

Another plan.

kenji

Mothman

Is it my imagination, or is that nose end pure Dragon Rapide?
Could it have been made from a crashed one?

Martin

K_mars

Martin,

It is an interesting imagination.

kenji.

Mothman

Kenji,
it looks VERY much like the front end of a Dragon Rapide, including the sector shaped side window which drops down for a better view.
I'm just making that bit now on my Dragon Rapide model.

Martin

Balsabasher

I think the wonderful nose shape is typical of the thirties designers,ie Monospar,Envoy etc the designers had a real feel for shape and design back then,I can see the resemblance Martin.

Mothman

I think you have a point there, Barry.
I guess it's a case of "whatever works".
Martin