• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Miles M2 Hawk Commenced 11SEP 21 Completed 17 NOV 21

Started by Boomerang, September 16, 2022, 11:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Using up some more scrap bits.

Total hours to date are approx 6.

I am thinking of overcomplicating this one with a "detailed cockpit".

Experimenting with PVA impregnated paper for the cockpit decking. Failing that it will be .4mm ply.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looking forward to another masterpiece Gordon.

Lou

Gearup

it looks like an interesting aircraft to model. The cockpit on your BAT 46 model was very well done and I look forward to this one too.
Fraser

Boomerang

Thank you Lou and Fraser.

Experimented with PVA impregnated paper for the top decking.

Three folds of 80grm paper with PVA then molded around the fuselage top deck.
4 folds was abit thick.

Waiting for it to dry and will see what happens.

Working out how to do the fuselage sides in the cockpit area.

Onwards .

Gordon

Boomerang

The method I used.

If you use this be gentle with the paper as being wet it will scrunch and tear if handled roughly.

I am going to push on with this result. .

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress.

Paper top decking seems to have worked.

More work around cockpit required.

Then the moment of truth . Cut the cowling and tail section off of the fuselage.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Beautiful interior. Everything seems to be working out.

Lou

Gearup

Wow. The paper really looks like it works great. So I understand that you laminated 4 pieces over the carved section like a mold?
Fraser

Boomerang

Fraser,

Tried 4 but seemed a bit thick. The current top decking is 3 laminations. A couple of coats of dope inside and out. Used a fine file to thin down the
Cockpit rims . An extra layer was added with the cockpits so I could cut them out.

Have bitten the bullet and have commenced combining the cockpit section with the fuselage.

Have made a cowling out of 2 laminations of glued paper. Seems to work. Bit of refinement required when it is attached.

Staring to shape propeller.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looks great so far Gordon. I am thinking about doing a paper cowl for my Camel. It would be thinner than wood and allow for removal to see the engine.

Lou

Boomerang

Pushing on.

Clipped together.
Crash pads are from polyfilla.
Making up some instrument panels.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Wings joined to fuselage.
Fillets drying.

Decals scaled and ready.

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Fillets done . Primer applied.

Some work still to do on propeller.

Will have to add to the decal set some underwing serials and Type B roundels for the upper wing.

I will paint it up in colours of A37-4 which from the only photo I can  find is painted camo on top yellow underneath.
A closer look at the photo shows underwing serials. I am comparing this to Wackett trainers of the same period.

If I can get everything sorted I might put it in SCALEACT which is on 5/6 November.

Also taking a leaf out of Johns book and will have the starboard rear cockpit door open.

Picture to follow.

Gordon

Boomerang

Tailgroup is not attached.

Propeller being finessed.Air inlet on starboard cowling has been formed using PVA/Paper rolled around brass tube.

Gordon