• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 De Havilland FB 31 Vampire commenced 23 JULY 21 Completed 29 DEC 21

Started by Boomerang, July 23, 2021, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Basic components have been cut out.

Clear canopy has been moulded.

Fuselage pod has been roughly shaped .

It will be painted up as A79-215 a 25 squadron aircraft . All over Post Office Box Red . With 25 Squadrons black swan emblem.

Pics to follow when further advanced.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I look forward to your Mk I Vampire.

Lou

Boomerang

Where the Vampire is at.

All just clipped together.

Wings clipped.

Also in pic is the resultant two canopies . the mold and the clear plastic holder. Bit rough but worked.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looking great Gordon. I have yet to seriously tackle canopies. I did try on a 1/144 Banshee, but it did not work out for me.

Lou

buccfan

Looking good Gordon, I've thought about trying the clear canopy but never got round to it, may have a try when I get the time to start a new build, which won't be any time soon, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

A comment for Paul: An AirToon with clear canopy?

Lou

buccfan

I might give it a try Lou, when I get some free time, regards Paul.

Boomerang

Thank You Paul.
Sounds like you are pretty busy.

Stay  Safe

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Plodding on with the Vampire. Working on the tail booms and going back over the fuselage checking things.

I'll post a pic when there has been definitive progress.

Stay safe

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Love the looks of the Vampire. Clear canopy may be a next technique to try.

Fraser

Boomerang

Tail booms nearly done . A bit more work on outer fairings on the rudders. Checking fuselage contours and then summon up the gumption to
Cut the fuselage for the cockpit.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Cleaned up fuselage a bit. Getting ready to dissect the fuselage. I it all fails I'll stick it all back together and use the solid canopy.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

A promising project. I tried the hair dryer canopy without success. I am considering using the oven to heat up the plastic, but need some more research on the subject.

Lou

Gearup

buccfan

Coming together Gordon, regards Paul J. Comment for Lou, what you need is a craft heat gun, card makers use them for embossing inked in designs, I use one for shrink tubing. They get a lot hotter than hairdryers. Sorry to hijack your thread Gordon.