• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Martinsyde Elephant

Started by Jim, September 01, 2020, 09:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Sorry, not a jet (not a fan of them).
But another of my WW1 bipes.
This time a Martinsyde G.102 "Elephant". From No. 27 Squadron, RFC -- the only Flying Corps squadron to be completely equipped with them. Always liked the Elephant, with its eccentric armament -- specifically, the rear-ward-firing Lewis gun, which must have been of questionable value, at best! I gave this one a camera as well, to honor the brave pilots who flew long-range photo-recon missions in these obsolescent machines.

Standard construction, with basswood wings and fuselage, mahogany prop, bamboo struts, mono and banjo-string rigging, painter's tape ribs, homemade decals, and aluminum tape details on guns, camera and tailskid. Plus a piece of spring in the skid from a girl's earring I found lying on the sidewalk one day! Roughly 1:48 scale. 
And so it goes...

Jim

And the rest...
And so it goes...

Gearup

A truly beautiful model. the detailing really makes it come alive. Thanks,
Fraser

lastvautour

Very impressive model. I always enjoy your modeling skills. May I have a photo taken a couple of feet away from the camera to give a border so I can manipulate for the year poster. Having the model fill the image does not give me any options for resizing. You can PM me if you wish.

Lou

Boomerang

Well done ! Looks great . Love the inclusion of the camera.

An Elephant has been on the list for a while . No1 Squadron AFC had them in the Middle East.

Cheers

Gordon