• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Pfalz D-IIIa

Started by Jim, March 26, 2020, 10:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Carl Degelow's Pfalz D-IIIa, Jasta 7, early 1918, with his familiar white stag emblem. About 1:50 scale. Basswood fuselage and wings, bamboo struts, walnut & basswood laminated prop, painted mono fishing line rigging, rubber O-ring tires, bits of scrap tubing for gun barrels and engine plumbing, aluminum tape radiator, carved pilot figure, and home-made decals. A fun build. Hope you like it.
And so it goes...

Jim

Couple more
And so it goes...

Gearup

Very nice model! The pilot and instruments are very convincing. I remember reading somewhere that with models, regardless of scale or type, people always look closely at where the pilot sits. So of course, the cockpit drew my attention. I also love the contrast in the laminated prop. How was the white stag applied?

Regards,
Fraser

Jim

Thank you, Fraser.
The stag decal was made on a laser printer, with white waterslide decal paper. I scanned the image from a book, and tweaked the image contrast to help  make the background as black as possible, being sure to leave a decent margin of black background surrounding it. The decal was simply cut out and applied to the fuselage. When dry, I gave the decal edges a careful touch of black brushwork to help them blend in as much as possible. A clearcoat layer over everything provided the finishing touch.
And so it goes...

Gearup

I didn't think a laser worked on decal paper. Good to know!

lastvautour

Congratulations on another great build. I agree the pilot figure adds to the realism.

Lou

Jim

Thanks, Lou. Appreciate your comment, and value your opinion!

Fraser, you have to use laserjet decal paper; inkjet decal paper won't work. You can find it online.
And so it goes...

Boomerang

Well Done !  I've always liked the Pfalz D-III.

Cheers

Gordon