• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

R.E.-8

Started by Jim, January 28, 2019, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

Latest project: An RE-8 from 52 Squadron, RFC. Enough angles in the "Harry Tate" for a whole semester of geometry classes! Learned a lesson, too: Details get tricky as scale decreases. Specifically, I like to size my models to fit the available display space. I  find a 7-8" wingspan fits my display case just about right. Well, this project reminded me that it's one thing to size a single-seat fighter down to a 7-1/2" wingspan, generally bringing it to around 1:40 scale or thereabouts. It's a different thing again, however, when you shrink a bigger two-seater type to the same wingspan; now you're talking about something in the neighborhood of 1:60 scale. And at that size, damn, but those little fiddly parts get small!

Herewith, a couple Harry Tate pix. Sorry, the photography leaves a lot to be desired...
And so it goes...

Jim

And two more for good measure...
And so it goes...

Boomerang

Mate! Absolutely brilliant job. Well Done!

Love it.

Cheers

Gordon

Jim

Thank you, Gordon.

I meant to say at the outset that the rigging is more representstional thzn "scale," for want of a better term. At this size, the ability to do rigging becomes pretty marginal (at least for me!), and I'm inclined to just do "what I can" and just let rest go. So you'll note the absence of rudder and elevator control cables.

Jim
And so it goes...

lastvautour

Excellent RE-8. All these biplane makes me the itch to start one too.  I gather this is 1/60 scale.

Lou

Jim

Correct. Thanks, Lou.
And so it goes...

Gearup

Nice detail for a model of that size. Very colorful too.