• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

The most important model in my collection-The 'Air Cadet'

Started by Balsabasher, June 19, 2012, 12:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Its not a  solid I know but this is probably the most important model in my collection for many reasons,the original model was built from Aeromodeller drawings published around 1936 I think,the idea behind the model was that it would become a standard design to be be built by Air Cadets ie the Air Defence Corps later to become the Air Training Corps,at the age of 5 my father built for me this model,I flew it on many occasions and it went skyward and out of sight on many occasions on its many strands of rubber driving a beautifully hand carved wooden propeller via a tiny ballrace,the wheels were thin pressed alloy,the undercarriage sprung rearwards on elastic bands,the beautiful de Havilland shaped tail was fully trimmable,the wings slid fore and aft to get the centre of gravity correct and the narrow chord wings had a lot of lift to them,the design was perfect and very cleverly thought out,this model gave me more pleasure than any other that has been built,the original got soaked with rubber lubricant which is castor oil and liquid soap,it eventually fell apart,so 15 years ago I salvagd the original fittings and made this exact replica of that original,sure enough it flew off the board and brought back memories spent as a youngster holding it while dad wound up the stretched rubber pre-wound motor,then engaged the free wheeling device ( when the rubber ran down the prop dis-engagd via a simple wire arrangement so the prop did not stop dead but carried on windmilling ) and I would sometimes launch it and then chase after it ! think of summer days and long grass and realistic fluttering flight.
It is named 'Spirit of the Green 2' because the place I flew it from was called Aldermans Green,I used to fly it once every year on my fathers birthday but now it hangs retired to remind me of my roots,dad built solids and I would watch him and salvage the offcuts and carve my own creations and spend my sixpence pocket money on balsa bundle offcuts,the happiest days of my life and I am still enjoying building models,I just had to share my memories with you all.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/20120618_13_SPIRIT_OF_THE_GREEN_AIR_CADET.jpg

Peter

Thanks for sharing this Barry, you actually got me teary eyed ::) Luckily my wife didn't see, she already thinks I'm off my nut. Everytime I see another photo of your collection I'm in awe.

Peter

Balsabasher

Thank you Peter,yes it comes from writing from the heart,tell it as it was and it always works.
Barry.