• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Fairey Albacore Fleet Air Arm biplane

Started by Balsabasher, March 25, 2012, 10:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Today the models of the Fairey Albacore's received lots of detail rubbing down,filling and making up and carving the small three bladed propellers,one model will be fully painted in period FAA colours and the other kept as a ID type,the latter has had the upper wing attached whilst the other one still has to be fitted to assist the cockpit work as the upper wing will obstruct  painting.
The main wheels were mounted onto wire v-struts threaded through the dural undercarriage legs and tailweels have been fitted onto the brackets that were also fabricated,the material for the wing struts was cut from stock wood and then was sanded and pre-primed ready for cutting into lengths.
The Ocre coloured primer is a fairly new product it works really well on wood and fills minor blemishes which is ideal,it is sold as a 'high build' primer for vehicles,high build primers are excellent for use on many woods especially balsa where they excel as they self level and once cured can be sanded easily,if the abrasive paper clogs simply slap it against the workbench,a good tip also is to alternate between different coloured primers that way good coverage is achieved.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/ALBACORE_PAINT_2.JPG

The workshop doors open today with the Tawney Owl project just visible,everything fits into place and to hand,I prefer to work in the open especially with the large amount of dust but if the weather is bad then the up and over door stays shut.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/WORKSHOP_APRIL_2012.JPG

Oceaneer99

Barry,

It's fun to see other modelers workshops! My son noticed that there appears to be part of a 1:1 scale airplane in your workshop, is this true?

Garet

buccfan

Yes I wondered about that too, also that your lathe appears to be a table top version which I have not seen before! very interesting!. Your Albacores are looking good Barry.Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Thank you Garet and Paul for your observations,yes the real aeroplane is the worlds one and only Thurston Aviation Tawney Owl G-APWU which I have been giving my tender loving care to,I built the fuselage as it was missing and used the parts that I had to get dimensions and many photographs that were sent to me,it is a unique machine because it was one of the last 'Private venture' British aircraft made,all in a days work and over the years I have rebuilt many vintage aircraft.

The lathe is a bench top type and I am very pleased with it,originally I had a small one delivered but the motor lasted only for about an hour of use,when it was sent back to the factory they informed me it was beyond repair like the warehouse full they also had ! these lathes are part of the new generation economy machines very affordable.

Yes I too love seeing other peoples workshops as well,so perhaps it is now time to just take a picture of your bench exactly as it is now ! no tidying up,just as it is,lets see the dust and all.
Barry.

lastvautour

Good work on those Albacores and I appreciate the photo of your work area.

Lou

Balsabasher

Not much progress to report today on the Albacore's except made up the wing struts for one model,the way that I do this is to first measure up the distance between the wings with a pair of internal calipers,then I add a few thou to the total length,next I point the ends of the struts and mark a dimple where they go,the struts then push into place with a little bit of springiness,this allows you to adjust the struts by carefully easing them one way or the other.
Once you are happy then a zap with thin cyno will firmly fix them for good.

Todays task was to make a side panel/windbreak for my outside workbench,I love working in the fresh air and let the dust and shavings go away,they are eagerly re-cycled by the birds for their nests they especially love balsa shavings which are nice and light to shuttle back and forward to their nests,the outside bench has a roof on it slanted backwards,today I re-felted the roof as well after the ravages of the winter months,it also serves as a sun shade in the summer months nothing nicer than working with the sun shining down.

Barry.

buccfan

Would you mind if I asked what make and model your lathe was Barry, I did a bit of Googling but there are a few out there, and there's nothing like a review from a user. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Imported by a company called 'Sealey' however they probably come under another name,made in Germany I believe and described as 1000 mm,highly recommended,price was around the £178 mark.
Barry.

buccfan

Thanks Barry, I,ll do some Googling.Regards Paul.

Balsabasher

I do not normally fit bombs or armament to my models but the Albacore seemed to be crying out for one of those whopping great torpedo's that hung underneath 1940's fleet shadower's,anyway it was another excuse to play with the lathe and learn a few new tricks so I soon mounted a blank of wood between the jaws to get weaving or should I say turning ! it proved very theraputic to spin up this item and soon it was ready for the fins,these were fabricated from 1=64th Miralyte ply,a wonderful material that can be cut with a pair of scissors,two slits and a slight push into place followed with a dab of thin cyno to leach into the joint,job done ! the torpedo sits with the nose just underneath the rear of the cowling terminating aft at a point just where the cockpit ends,when that thing was released it must have lightened the controls and the nose went up when free of the torpedo.
Small bombs could also be carried underneath the wings but I opted to leave those as the torpedo was enough I feel.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_TORPEDO_8.JPG

Balsabasher

The propeller spinner was dished out slightly and a pin pushed through the hub,a bit of gorilla adhesive did the job.
The weather was damp today but I managed to get another coat of the ocre filler before the heavens let loose.
Barry.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_TORPEDO_12.JPG

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10005/normal_TORPEDO_11.JPG

buccfan

Looking good Barry, I like the torpedo. There's no stopping you on the lathe now!. I think I have found the one you bought, the Sealey SM1308 1000mm, for £157.40p delivered, but it doesn't have the faceplate with it, you have to buy it seperate for £17. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Thats a good price even without the faceplate,the faceplate is something that I need to learn more about and how to use it ? after making round bits for years by hand I wish that I had known the joys of these lathes then.
Barry.

Jim

Beautiful workmanship, barry. You're an artist!
And so it goes...