• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Language identity required.

Started by buccfan, February 26, 2012, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buccfan

Do we have any language experts on the forum?. I have taken some pictures,( with some difficulty ) of some writing engraved on a knife belonging to a friends grandfather. It is not known how his grandfather came by the knife, but he used to go to sea on fishing trawlers and he may have used it in his work.
       There is some writing engraved on the blade but we don't know the language. The handle and sheath are made of bone, the handle has brass rivets set into it with glass beads in the centers. Most of the beads are missing. If anyone can help with identifying the language it would be a great help, and a translation would be even better.Regards Paul J. To see a larger image with Firefox browser right click and select view image. I'm not sure with IE.

Will

The style of the numerals is European, the writing is in cyrillic characters so a good start would be Greek, others might be Serbian, Russian or similar.

Hope this helps
Will

buccfan

Thanks for that Will, I had a PM message today which also pointed to Greek. Regards Paul J.

Peter

I used to collect knives. There is a Knife collectors forum similar to this one you can ask there. I can't remember the address but you should find it on Google.

Peter

buccfan

Thanks Peter, I'll give it a try.Regards Paul J.