• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Balsabasher makes force landing onto a lake with Cataina flying boat

Started by Balsabasher, April 09, 2014, 11:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Today I test flew my Catalina flying boat for the first time at the farm strip,after 3 successful circuits the model developed a loss of power due to an electrical fault on both engines,as I could not make the strip and had to land quickly a decision was made to land short,instead the increasing headwind and loss of power placed me right above the boating lake which is between the two fields ! at that point as there was a slight incline I landed the Catalina blind as it disappeared from sight,a witness said it touched down in the middle of the lake with a bit of a splash,the wind made it drift into the reeds where it got stuck,so along came the rescue canoe to retrieve the Catalina,apart from a bit of water inside the hull and some burnt out wiring it was fine,repairs are going ahead with thicker wire for the electronic speed controllers.
With many thanks to the canoe rescue unit ! incidently the model prior to the incident took off from wet grass as it built up airspeed and lifted off.
The model just about qualifies for solid model as the fuselage is a foam log.

lastvautour

Balsabasher

The PBY is currently having a new avionics fit as water damaged the receiver etc during the splashdown,also new longer control horns to reduce aileron throw have been fitted,once the airworthiness jobs are done then she will be in the air again with camera onboard top of wing between the engines.
Barry.