• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Fireball XL-5

Started by Ken Pugh, January 18, 2010, 03:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

Once I finished a major multi-year project I was finally able to get back to things that have been neglected.  One of those projects was the Fireball XL-5.  I have never seen the series, a British puppet series in black and white.  I mainly became interested in the subject while studying the website of Martin Bower.

Martin Bower is a British model-maker whose work you have probably seen without knowing it.  Check out his website for some great construction pics.

http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/

Photos will follow shortly.  The model is progressing slowly because I have to rebuild our kitchen floor, a great challenge considering my disability problems.  This project would have been much easier if I had a lathe big enough, but I am doing it the hard way, carving a cylinder by hand.  At least I have some experience with carving cylinders with my submarine build.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Supercar inspired me to design a whole series of crafts. I even had a control line flying model that I designed and flew for quite a while before a disastrous landing.  A youth well spent!!

Lou

animek

Let's not forget the famous song that goes with it. ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3yN6WfpaUQ&feature=PlayList&p=CAD39962A9DA5C5D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=7

Regarding Marting Bower, I'm still scratching my head when I discovered his site a few years ago, the man looks my age, and I was just a kiddo when those XL5 and Space 1999 shows came out, he must have made those models when he was 8 or something  ???
Ben

lastvautour

Balsabasher

Ken I can see why you like these models,this reminds me of my interest in the old 'Eagle' comic with Dan Dare pilot of the future on the cover,every week I would keenly collect my copy of the Eagle and peruse the centre spread cutaway drawings done by the much lamented artist L.Ashwell-Wood,Wood was a genius with the cutaways and a prolific one at that,I actually made some solid models of the Dan Dare spaceships plus some models based on those cutaway drawings,the 'Eage' came about because a certain member of the ecclesiastical cloth was alarmed at the American horror comics hitting the bookstands, and wanted something that the modern boy would be more drawn to,and thus evolved the Eagle ! how times have changed as the computer and allied games took over for instant entertainment.
I have just given myself a time machine nostalgia shot by buying the reprints of those drawings in book form,there is nothing like a bit of nostalgia to stimulate the old grey matter,a bit like this forum really,doing things the way we used to build them before injection moulding came into being,so more power to your space vehicles Ken,I may just recreate a Mekon personal space vehicle myself ! the Mekon a little green man was the arch enemy of Dan Dare with his fleet of space vehicles.
Barry/Balsabasher

Ken Pugh

Yes, Barry, I think we all have TV shows and movies from the past that have had a significant impact on us.  Today's CGI shows are great, but the impact of those old models was tremendous.  They are not as convincing as CGI, but I think that is some of the appeal.  When you see those models you know it can be done.  I really feel sorry for those enslaved by the plastic model.  I, too, had that self-imposed limit of "I just can't scratchbuild, that's too hard."  One then must wait for someone else to make the model and pay what they demand.  Now that I scratchbuild, it's all just a matter of time.  There are a lot of scifi models waiting in my mind and they make a great diversion from my main focus, airplanes.

Back to the Fireball.  There is a plan out there copyrighted by Philip Rae that is a good starting point for this model.  I also found the yahoo group for the Fireball yesterday and there are tons of screen captures that are fantastic.  Looking at those pics you will see variations from the main model and the closeup models, so pick out what you want to use and go for it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fireball/

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3707

Ken Pugh

Ken Pugh

I finally have enough progress to justify a pic post.  The basic tailcone area is built.  The rear appendages are cut, trued, pinned and test fitted to the hull.  Amazingly enough, they line up well.  The real challenge will be to get them glued up then put the front fins in and get all this to line up properly.  One step at a time.  There is still a lot of shaping left to do in this area.  Interestingly, most of the detail of this model is in the tail area.  Drilled a small hole in my finger so I decided it was time to quit when I struck blood!

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3823

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Nice work Ken. Yahoo groups won't let you see anything unless you join the group.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Thanks, Lou.  That's right, you have to join the group.  All you need is a yahoo email address.  That group is one of the lists that will sign you up automatically.  There is practically no traffic on it, but it is a good resource.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

I signed up. Some good pictures.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Lots of time spent smoothing the fuselage.  It is now to the point where I can start adding detail.

Ken Pugh

Ken Pugh

A lot of surface prep has taken place up to this point and pictures would not have shown much.  I now have all of the wood parts made, I think.  From here I have metal nozzles and plastic grating left to make.  Most of the fins are pinned on at this point.  Everything that is not silver will not be attached until later.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-4341

This thing looks a lot like the Spirit of America land speed record car of Craig Breedlove.  I would love to make some of those cars but pictures and drawings are not abundant.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Fantastic smooth finish. She is going to be a beauty.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Thanks, Lou.

She is very smooth, but I won't know how much so until primer and especially when silvered.  Of course, it's all just a matter of keeping at it until it's right, something I haven't pursued to completion in a model yet.  I need to practice with my new airbrush for the effects I plan on using.  It would be nice to cover it in aluminum foil but I think I'll settle for paint.  The surface preparation is the same for both so it's good training.

One thing about the Fireball XL5 for any other potential builders.  This is a television prop and you have to keep that in mind.  There is no totally accurate model to follow.  Writers have a bad habit of introducing something for a plot and a small model is made for that shot showing the section of detail.  Usually it never makes it to the overall model.  I also noticed that the paint has changed over the seasons, especially in the color shots.  You just have to decide on what you want to build then make it happen.  Some shots also show damage to the model that is not repaired.  I haven't seen the show so I don't know if that was part of the episode.  Whenever there were pyrotechnics I noticed a lot of dust on the model.

Modeling is a great way to learn about the subject and one of its many pleasures.

Ken Pugh

cliff strachan

It looks to be a great model Ken. What kind of new airbrush did you settle on? Your remarks concerning modeling as an opportunity to learn about a subject suggests that perhaps our group might also be prepared to offer a bit of history when posting their shots of completed works - especially with respect to group builds and the like.

Cliff.