• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Strombecker B-26C Rescue

Started by vinairart, February 17, 2012, 09:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinairart

Hey all,

I posted some pictures in the Gallery on one of my last projects, a rescued Strombecker B-26C Marauder recognition model from the early 1940's. The model shown has some history that I am still sleuthing and trying to unravel. Much is circumstantial at this juncture. What I do know is that it lived in Omaha, NE and was sold to me about three years ago on an ebay auction. It was in rough shape so I used it more as a training aid for developing either skills or techniques for restoring vintage wood models. It was missing it fin and the stabilizer assembly was weak so I boiled it to loosen the original "Caseco" wood glue so that it could be disassembled. Some of the flat black paint came off and it revealed a silver paint job with red nacelles. HMMM, seems I had seen that type of scheme in some advertising. Low and behold, while cruising through Ebay listings, the Charles Hubbell painting in a vintage Martin Aircraft ad popped up. So that is where the scheme came from. It must have been used by Martin in their Press Releases as another painting on a vintage Model Airplane News from early 1941 showed the same airplane. This could very well have been a model that some employee at the new Martin Plant had built for display at work. It is interesting that Strombecker's kit is titled as a B-26C which were only produced in Omaha.

So, while learning some skills, I gathered the various period references with the hopes of finally overhauling the airplane completely. Fast forward to January of 2012 and the project has finally been completed. It even got some coverage on Steve Remington's   www.collectair.com   website under the first installment of the "Stombecker Story Part 1".     

BTW, I spent a lot of time lurking amongst all posted projects here a SMM and want to thank all of you for being willing virtual mentors.

Best Regards, Tom Sanders, Indiana, USA 
Tom "Sandman" Sanders

lastvautour

A very nicely restored Marauder and a history to round things out. Thank you for sharing. It is an interesting post.

Mark Braunlich

Beautiful Tom!  Lovely color scheme and nice work with the photo layouts as well.  My grandfather took some informal art lessons from Charles Hubbell and thought a lot of the man.   

I received another Strombecker solid needing restoration at Christmas time....the B-24J converted to a B-24D.   I've an A-20 sitting on the bookshelf needing some attention as well.

Mark

Marsh

Hi, Good that this site was some help in a small way. Nice model as well.
ATB  Marsh.

cliff strachan

That is a nice model/restoration, Tom. And it is definitely well presented. This latter category is particularly appealing.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Once again a sympathetic period restoration and nicely finished.
Barry.