• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Skybirds Models

Started by Mark Braunlich, July 28, 2011, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Skybirds Hawker Hurricane (needing restoration), kit #3A, introduced June, 1938

Balsabasher

Despite their condition and age,dont they have lots of character ? interesting finds Mark,you are our Skybird sleuth !
Barry.

K_mars

Mark,

In Japan, we do not watch most of the models of "Skybird". Thank you for a precious photograph.
I possess "Scale Model Aircraft" of the STEVENS, James Hay. STEVENS, James Hay is a former teacher of the Japanese solid model.

kenji.

Mark Braunlich

Unbuilt Skybirds Lockheed P-38 Lightning, kit #16D, introduced September, 1941

Wartime kits dispensed with the fancy packaging of the prewar offerings.

Mark Braunlich

Unbuilt Skybirds Messerschmitt Me-110, kit #7C introduced July, 1942.

Wartime kits dispensed with the fancy packaging of the prewar offerings.

Will

Mark,

That plastic bag is way too modern.  The wartime kits were packed in a brown paper wrapper, still with a Stevens(?) sketch on the outside.  These kits seem to lack the original packaging.

Cheers
Will

Mark Braunlich

Will,
I'm sure you're correct about the plastic bag....I didn't mean to imply that these photos were showing original packaging.  If brown paper, it would probably be disintegrated by now.   I've read somewhere that the Skybirds Boulton-Paul Defiant was the last kit designed by J.H.Stevens. He moved into involvement with full-size aviation sometime during the war.   The last kits were done by other people but following closely the Stevens style.

Mark

Mark Braunlich

Skybirds lot including hangar and radio mast.
Airplanes left to right are Hawker Hurricane, L.V.G. C.V, and Fairey Seafox(?)

Mark Braunlich

How to buy them!  Here's lot of 13 Skybirds and similar solids that went for only £40 in January 2011 auction.  The Blenheim IV and rough Hurricane shown above are from this group now being parted out.

Mark Braunlich

Skybirds Handley Page Heyford, kit #20 introduced April, 1934.

Mark Braunlich

I'm not certain if both of these Airspeed Oxford models are Skybirds.   I'm guessing the one with metal cowlings is Skybirds, not sure about the other one.  Skybirds kit #6B, introduced August, 1939.   Some Skybirds Oxfords are seen with upper turret and the instructions refer to it.

Mark

Balsabasher

The metal Cheetah engines look like Aeroclub white metal modern replacements,very effective just the same.
What charming models and the Oxford is a particular favourite.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Here's a photo found by Dave Tunison shewing typical wartime Skybirds packaging that has survived with an unbuilt ME-110.  See message #25 and subsequent posts about the packaging.   Kit #7C.   Thanks Dave!

Mark

Balsabasher

Sometimes the small bags containing the parts were standard confectionery bags,Sherbert 1d,thats one old penny to the youngsters on here !! such were the constraints in wartime,everything was used to good advantage.
Barry.

Love this Skybirds stuff Mark,keep up the good research work.

Mark Braunlich

Here's a lot of biplanes that went at auction for £180 in 2008.   Not all are Skybirds but quite a few are.