• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Strombecker B-17 Spotter's Model

Started by Joe, December 03, 2009, 07:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Hi, all,

A while back I posted some photos of Strombecker B-17 Spotter's model that I had acquired.  It was in rather poor shape, but salvageable.  I have attached those photos to this note, as well.  As you can see the paint job left lots to be desired and there was obvious structural damage that will need repairs.  

I began the rebuild by sanding off the old paint and photos are attached of the model in its current state.  My next tasks are to repair the tail section, repair the gun turrets, repair the engine nacelles, and begin the final sanding/sealer treatment.  In regard to the gun turrets, I am going to remove the dorsal turret and replace both it and the belly turret with new versions made with my lathe.

My plan is to paint the model flat black, but to apply the insignia, in contravention of the approved practice for spotter's models.  I managed to obtain an unbuilt kit of this model and will use it as a guide.

Regards,

Joe

lastvautour

It is very nice to see you repair those models that have seen better days. I eagerly await the completion of another rescued treasure.

Lou

Joe

Hi, All,

I have made some progress on this model.  The tail section is repaired, the engine nacelles are repaired, the turrets have been fabricated and installed, and the sealing/sanding process is underway.  Photos attached.

I hope to be able to apply primer next week and finish the model by the end of the year.   Time will tell....

Joe

lastvautour

Joe

Hi, All,

Well, the sanding, priming, sanding, priming...ad nauseum is at an end, I think.  Attached is a photo of the B-17 in its primed state.  I am hoping to paint it this weekend...

Regards,

Joe

Joe

Hi, All,

Well, the paint is on and the paper insignia/markings are in preparation.  I am not certain I will be able to post the final result before I am off on my Christmas trip, but if I can, I will post the final photos tonight.  If not, then let me wish all of you a Most Merry Christmas and a Happy, Prosperous New Year...or in the words of Jose Feliciano, "Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad y Prospero Ano Nuevo y Felicidad!"  See you next year...

Joe

lastvautour

Fantatsic restoration work Joe. I should send some of mine for you to do over.

Lou

Joe

Lou,

Thanks for the kind words, but I am afraid the my skills are still not in the same league with the "usual suspects" on this board. 

In the event, through the wonders of airport wifi I am able to post the photos of the finished product.  I took the pictures late last night and stored them in my laptop.  Ah, the wonders of modern living!

Merry Christmas to all!

Joe

lastvautour

Joe, if you are still watching, you did a magnificent job on your B-17.

Lou