• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Making Vintage Aircraft in Wood by Joe B. Hicks

Started by Jim, August 24, 2023, 11:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

I don't know if anyone has seen this book or listed it somewhere here on the site. At any rate, I haven't seen it anyplace here, so I thought I'd share it.
It might be the "last" or most recently published volume on our subject (pub. 1990), and if so, is worth mentioning for that reason alone.
It's not what you'd call the most advanced approach to solid model aeroplane building — that is to say, the models are much simplified. But the plans are nicely worked out and the construction processes and techniques are open to modifying and upgrading to produce a more sophisticated rendering.

And perhaps most important of all, it looks to me to be an outstanding teaching tool. If you wanted to present a class to novice solid model builders, especially young people, this very well could be the textbook around which to fashion your course of instruction.

I found it on eBay and purchased it for $14, shipping included.
And so it goes...

Gearup

I must confess. This is the book I used to get into solid modeling   The first airplane I built from it was the F104. I gave a second model to a retired captain who was a 104 pilot here in Canada. The second model was the Camel that is on this site. That was the one that inspired me to try bettering myself with model making.

Ps. I've been laying low for awhile and will jump back in this fall.

Fraser

lastvautour

I found a few on eBay and one at the low price of $5.00 US plus $7.00 US for shipping. Can't complain at those prices.

Lou

Boomerang

You're picked up a good deal.

Some I looked at were extremely expensive.

Great job on the Camel to Fraser.

Cheers

Gordon

Jim

Does anyone know of a more recent book published on this subject?
And so it goes...

Dave T

I have seen a few older books, not anything more recent than 1990. Someone needs to write one I guess.