• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Strombecker Thunderstreak

Started by Paul, November 09, 2009, 11:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Finished the Strombecker Thunderstreak yesterday.  Although the instructions describe the jet as an F84-F, the model came with the narrow fuselage of the earlier straight-wing F84-G Thunderjet and the swept wings of the later F84-F Thunderstreak.  This combination of parts would actually make it the prototype Thunderstreak; the YF96.  The kit still had the decals in it but I assumed they wouldn't work after 55 years, so I used decals from a modern F84-G kit and Woodland Scenics dry transfers.

lastvautour

Excellent model. The various shades of silver are awesome.

Lou

Joe

Wow!  Very nice Strombecker Thunderjet!

What did you use to mask the cockpit?  Did you use a wax/water "solution" for the final finish?

Again, great job.

Joe

Paul

Thanks for the compliments, I used Tamiya masking tape to mask the canopy and the different metallic shades on the surface.  I used three different shades of Tamiya spray paint to get variation in the different panels.  You have piqued my curiosity, what is a "water and wax" finish? Is that what was used before we started importing Japanese spray paint?

Oceaneer99

Very nice work on the metallic finish, Paul.

cliff strachan

That certainly is a wonderful finish. As much as you can tell us about your method would be a great help.
I, for one, wouldn't know where to begin.

Cliff

Paul

I am no expert on metallic finishes but I do know that the most important part is surface preparation.  Any surface irregularity will show in the final finish.  I used many coats of primer sanding down to 320 grit between coats until I couldn't see the grain anymore.  After the final coat of primer I sanded down to 600 grit.  600 grit is adequate for spray paint, but if airbrushing probably 1000 or even 1200 might be needed.  The most convincing metallic finishes I've seen were accomplished with special paint that is intended to be buffed after application, I've never tried them myself though.

Joe

Hi, Paul,

Imsjim wrote the following of his beautiful Strombecker B-24J restoration:  "I sprayed the model with Future floor wax to get a smooth finish to put the decals on. It took about 4 coats to get the gloss coat I wanted."  The topic is covered in several other exchanges.  I have never tried this and, thus, my aluminum/silver finishes do not have the nice satiny sheen that his do.  It looks like yours has the same or similar effect.  Hence my question.  I finish sanding with 400 grit and then go over the sanded surfaces with extra fine steel wool.

I am aware of only one Tamiya gloss aluminum/silver spray paint: Tamiya Spray Paint TS-17.  Are there others or did you do some mixing?  If you look at the finish on my restored Strombecker F-86 on my Project Board, you can see the result I get without using any clear coat or Future floor wax finish.  I plan to do some experimentation with the technique.

Regards,

Joe

Paul

Hi Joe, the Tamiya sprays I used were: AS-12, TS-17, and TS-83.  I used them straight out of the can, although I have heard of people decanting the spray into jars so that they can mix and airbrush the stuff.  I haven't tried that, maybe next time.  P.S. I like your Sabre, I wish I had one.

cliff strachan

Paul, I guess at this time I'm particularly impressed by your canopy. Is it painted or is it in fact a plastic canopy?

Cliff.

Paul

Hi Cliff, the canopy is plastic and came with the kit.  It is a lot thicker than you would see in a modern kit and has some air bubbles in it but hasn't yellowed any.

cliff strachan

Thanks Paul. I admit that it looked plastic. But, on the otherhand it sort of looked solid and painted. The latter is a method that I've got to do and am looking for any tips.

Cliff

Joe

Hi,

Thanks for the information on both the paint and the masking tape.  I have already ordered both.  I have another "disreputable" Strombecker jet that is begging for restoration and that paint looks like it will be perfect. 

Thanks, again, for the information AND I think you did a magnificent job on this Strombecker.  As you probably know, I am a real fan of these vintage models:  I am delighted to see them survive and thrive in the hands of craftsmen like you.

Joe

Balsabasher

Simply beautiful Paul,the finish is excellent and would put a plastic model to shame !
Barry.

cliff strachan

A wonderful model Paul. Certainly as close to perfect as I could ever imagine. But, as I'm having a lot of trouble painting in silver, I was wondering if using a Tamiya product you have experienced any "rubbing off" of the silver on removing your masking tape.
Cliff