• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th 1/144 Grumman Albatross Started 2 May 2023 Completed 18 Jul 2023

Started by lastvautour, June 03, 2023, 01:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A 1/144 Grumman Albatross was started on 2 May 2023, but not posted until today. Subassemblies are done (no photo) and now await mating the wing to the fuselage before I proceed to final assembly.

Lou

lastvautour

Assembled and awaiting the paint shop.

Lou
Note: Comparison with Tracker in the same scale.

lastvautour

A primer coat has been applied. Next will be flat black followed by red wing panels and finally the metallic finish.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out 18 July 2023. The RCAF received 9 Albatrosses for the Search And Rescue roll. The HU-16 could operate on land, water, and snow.
Construction spanned 10 weeks and was completed using CanMilAir decals.

Lou

Model Maker

Another great model. I am always amazed at the details!!

Wondering how you construct the propellers? I am fine with impellers that have a hub. But when there is no hub I am always afraid of breakage.

-ken

lastvautour

Thank you Ken. Breakage is always a concern with these small props. These blades are butt-jointed to a hub with super glue. If there is a spinner, it makes it easier as I use a razor saw to cut notches to accept the blade. This makes them stronger. I will take some close up pictures of the process on my next build.

Lou

Boomerang

Excellent result Lou. I think it is the added details that make models stand ou.

Well Done!

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Lou

Gearup

Nice looking model Lou. It really adds to the look with the very well done gear extended.

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. The Albatross was still in service when I joined the RCAF. My current 1/144 builds all feature landing gear or beaching gear with flying boats.

Lou