• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/144 Canadair North Star Started 2 Aug 22 Complete 26 Sep 22

Started by lastvautour, August 02, 2022, 07:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

A new project was started today. I printed the drawings last July and just did not have time to return to it until this afternoon.

Lou

lastvautour

Did a bit of work on the North Star. Fuselage, wing and tail group are sanded and engines in block shape.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Gearup

I think its a nice looking aircraft with those four Merlins.
Fraser

lastvautour

Mated the engines to the wing and a comparison photo with the 1/72 Argus wing.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I spend a few hours over the last two days sorting out the nacelle joints. The tail feathers are faired in as well the nacelles and the initial primer coat has been applied. 40 prop blades were cut and 20 survived the sanding block If you look closely at the spinners, you will see the drilled holes to insert them.

Lou

Gearup

I always like how crisp you get the windows on your models.
Fraser

Boomerang

Mmmmmm . 40 prop blades in 1/144th .

Well done ! Looks great.

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you both. I carve the front face of the prop on a block of wood with the grain running along the blade. A cut with a sharp knife make a blade. However cutting to thin results in a throwaway and too thick need lots of sanding.

Lou

lastvautour

Red paint is applied and curing. Next I will mask and paint the metallic finish followed by the white top. Decals are printed and coated.

Lou

lastvautour

White applied to the upper fuselage and vertical fin.

Lou

Gearup

Do you do anything to prevent bleeding when covering the red paint with white?

Fraser

lastvautour

I use Tamiya 6 mm masking tape and that will stop bleeding when used on gloss surface edges. I then use regular masking for the rest of the areas. Using any tape on flat surfaces is hit and miss.

Lou