• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th - 1/72 Dassault CC-117 Falcon Start 10/3/22 - Complete 16/5/22

Started by lastvautour, March 10, 2022, 10:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Cardboard templates are cut and ready to trace onto the wood. The piece you see is off poor quality with cracks running diagonally. There is barely enough to do two plugs required for the laminated fuselage. I have another 8' X 8" X 1" board with straight grain. Like everything else, cost of wood is going up to the point I can put a $ value on building even a 1/72 model.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

A rare sight for me, two sessions in the shop in one day. I spend the afternoon working on my Falcon 20. I contour shaped the wing and horizontal stab and cut out the fuselage block shape. I also did a bit of sanding on the nacelles doing just half on each. The first photo show the progress.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage is rough carved and some sanding has begun.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

lastvautour

Most components are sanded and await the wing attachment block/fairing to be redone as it is too short for what I want to do.
The engines/pylons and tail assembly are just held with round toothpicks.

Lou

lastvautour

Subassemblies in the paint booth for first coat of primer.

Lou

lastvautour

Assembled and sanded. Second white primer coat. If this one works out, white gloss will follow.

Lou

Gearup

Looks like a nice business jet. Will it be a corporate scheme?
Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. It will be RCAF CC-117 Falcon in 414 Sqn colours.

Lou
My photo circa later 1970s

lastvautour

Decals can be printed on clear film as the aircraft is entirely white. I have some fuselage flash materiel in my spare's box.

Progress has been halted until I make and install proper engine nacelles. Being a civilian type aircraft, drawings are hard to find. The ones I used to make my Falcon showed the early engine nacelles. I should have paid better attention to the RCAF version. This will delay completion by several days.

lastvautour

Engine nacelles removed. One has been carved and the other awaits tomorrow.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

Compare the difference in the RCAF version.

Lou