• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF's 100th - 1/48 Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor Start 26 Jan 22 - Finish 19 May 22

Started by lastvautour, January 27, 2022, 03:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have  1/24, 1/32 and 1/144 Expeditors. I also made a 1/72 under glass case for a friend. Now I will do a 1/48 version for my twin engine collection. Blocks are rough cut. This was the first aircraft I ever worked on back in 1966.

Lou

Gearup

I wonder if that aircraft is still flying somewhere?
Fraser

lastvautour

I kept seeing one at airshows. It was dressed up in traditional RCAF marking. Many are still in civilian hands. Like the Dakota, it seem to go on forever.

Lou

lastvautour

Parts are rough block form. Fuselage and engine nacelles require laminating to get the proper thickness.

Lou

lastvautour

A bit of time spent on my Expeditor. Nacelles will have generic P&W Wasp Junior engines.

Lou

lastvautour

Wing contoured. I drew parallel line to check the shape.

Lou

lastvautour

Nacelles mated to the wing and the fuselage carving has begun .

Lou

Gearup

I like how nicely you rough out the shapes. Especially the window facets.
Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. This was the very first aircraft I worked on in Aero engine training course back in 1966.

Lou

lastvautour

Fiddling with the engines. Push rods will be straight pins. As the engine compartment is somewhat smaller than the engine diameter, the rocker arm covers will be omitted. I am using a relatively new method of lining up the cylinders by using a 9 point star sized to fit over the tip of the crankcase dowel.
Photo 1 - 1mm wooden pins inserted in to 5/16 dowel.
Photo 2 - cylinders are 1/8 dowels hollowed to accept 1// pins. The bottom are are narrowed to fit.
Photo 3 - engine fits snuggly in the carved out nacelle.

Lou

Gearup

The engines look authentic. The slight taper you gave the cylinders at the base does make a difference in how they look.

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. The 1/8 dowels were to wide for the cylinder placement.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

lastvautour

Major components mated but yet to be glued. Every thing is rough sanded.

Lou