• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2001-2021 20th Ann 1/350 SS Bannprince Coastal freighter 06 Feb 22 - 13 Feb 22

Started by lastvautour, August 06, 2021, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

SMM 20th Anniversary build ship will be this 1/350 SS Bannprince coastal freighter. Measuring just 5.67" in length with a 0.94" beam, the SS Bannprince is a small model. So far, top and side views have been printed and top views glued to paint sticks that were just the right thickness for my needs. I anticipate it will be finished by 31 Dec 2021.

Lou

lastvautour

lastvautour

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. I badly need to visit a hobby shop for materiel. I need some Evergreen .010" X .060" strips for my side walls. I hate the outrageous postal cost in Canada.

Lou

lastvautour

I know it takes away from the wood only construction, however I no longer have the ability to reduce my wood down to less than 1 mm.

Lou

Boomerang

A great job so far Lou.
I don't think it detracts from the model at all.
I have been known to use (recycle) take away coffee cup tops for thin fiddly  bits.

I do have a water line plan for HMAS Sydney which is also on my to do list.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

lastvautour

Boomerang

Lou,

It is Sydney II - Cruiser . Lost with all hands during action with German surface raider Kormorant.

She was finally located a few years ago.

Gordon

Gearup

I always enjoy the ship models. Why is 1:350 a preferred scale for large ships?  Also plastic and metal are solid modeling materials😃.

Fraser

lastvautour

I choose 1/350 to be able to work with wood more readily. Master builders do much smaller models, but alas that is beyond my talents. You should check out Garet's  magnificent 1/1200 SS Panama. http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1767.0

Lou

lastvautour

A bit of work carried out in my shipyard. A lack of suitable materiel is slowing the project to a crawl. Mid ship upper decks solid railing (white) being installed. Also attached is the bow railing made from nylon porch screen materiel. Live boat are in production but did not make it to the photo op session.

Lou

lastvautour

Dockyard worker strike is over for now. Deck cranes are installed as well as both masts. Ratlines will be simplified due to construction method. Life boats seem to have taken to sea as I cannot find them. Fortunately that is not a serious problem when working with wood.

Lou

Photos to follow.

lastvautour

A bit of progress. I hope to finish the Bannprince before Easter.

Lou