• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Back again having lost the Forum

Started by Balsabasher, July 29, 2008, 05:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Thanks to Garet and his work twiddling the gizmo knobs I am back again ! after years of solid models packed into boxes and a house move imminant,it was time to sort out a new home for the models,so the idea of creating a private model museum came to fruition,within a short walk is the workshop,suitable equipped with a generator to run my power tools ,make a cuppa etc.
Looking at the boards a lot has been going on these past few months and it looks as if I have missed a few cook-ups ! but never mind plenty of chances to join in with the new ones.
To everyone working behind the scenes in keeping solid modelling alive,well done,it is certainly working,once I settle into the workshop and sort everything out so that things can be found again,then the Basswood offcuts will come out and a bit of cutting and fettling will take place,it is good to be back.
Barry aka Balsabasher.

Oceaneer99

Barry,

Glad to have you back.  I love the photos of the museum!

I got a book at the library about stylish sheds, but none of them seemed to involve true workshops like you have.  My last house, I built an 8x12 foot shed, complete with salvaged skylights.  Now I have a garage, but I use it for larger projects and the power tools (there is a 14-foot kayak in there at the moment!).  Most of the model work goes on in a corner of the basement which I share with the rest of the family, so I sometimes have to move flowers, rocks, and jars of bugs off of the workbench before I begin.

I have some green 4x4-inch fir timbers that are drying in the garage and I plan to use to build a better basement workbench.  I have a full woodworker's bench in the garage that I built.  It is very heavy and very sturdy, which is a lot nicer than the wobbly job in the basement.

Garet

scottzepher

Barry,
       Very impressive--and inspiriational--space!
       Having a shop in the garage is alright . . .from maybe late September to November, and again from March through June.  Otherwise I miss being in the basement.  I finally managed to sand off the last of the plasterwork up in my attic, awating a much cooler September to paint, then maybe I can pull out the artwork and move what few  finished models survived the last few years.  Then I'll start adding some. 

Tom
(apologies for any wisps of white dust floating around the site now--that plaster dust gets everywhere!)

lastvautour

Hack! Hack! Cough! Cough!. I know, I sanded some chair rail and baseboard joints this morning.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Hi Barry,

Seeing your avatar I now recognize you from your website and other forums.  Great to have you onboard.  I gained a lot from your site when I started scratchbuilding.

Cookups never die and never end around here!  Our cookups are eternal so feel free to drop something in the bucket any time.  I am still looking for something to do for the flying boats when I can justify time away from my large project.

Ken Pugh

Oceaneer99

Tom said:

Quote from: scottzepher on July 30, 2008, 01:44:25 AM
       Having a shop in the garage is alright . . .from maybe late September to November, and again from March through June. 

Oh, yes, I forgot about the 3-season aspect of the garage.  Until a few years ago, there were holes in one wall that the wind whistled through.  It still comes around the old garage door.  I always have to remember to move all of my glue and paint into the basement when the frosts come.

Garet

cliff strachan

Holy Crow Barry! Wonderful display. Nice to have you back.

Cliff.

R.F.Bennett

"The Dude Abides"