Author Topic: Re: Roger's Dyna-Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat  (Read 88 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lastvautour

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6141
Re: Roger's Dyna-Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
RESTORING A PARTIALLY STARTED DYNA-MODEL PRODUCTS F8F-1 BEARCAT

Photo 3574: The kit was fairly complete though the box was very rough and the landing gear was missing. The original canopy forming was replaced with a Falcon vac-formed one. One of the prop blades was snapped off at the hub. It was repaired with a sewing needle inserted in the segments after center drilling each parted piece. The balsa fuselage--I am told--indicates that the kit is a later issue, as the original offering had a basswood (or poplar) gun stock lathe-carved fuselage. The model is an exceptionally accurate depiction of the Dash-1 Bearcat created by former Grumman engineers.

Photo 3582: The first thing I noticed about the cast metal engine face was that the gear case was not deep enough to accurately represent the correct R-2800 C-Series power plant. I milled it flat with the front row of cylinders and formed a new deeper one from a piece of hardwood dowel. Happily, the turned hardwood cowl front fit perfectly.
Though a lot of people may take issue with it, I coated the entire fuselage with a thin coating of Slo-Zap CA glue to completely seal the balsa grain. This should only be done after you have the contours and sections adjusted perfectly. The cockpit was then cut out and detailed per the instructions. I should emphasize that the canopy forming is trial fitted before the CA wipe-down for obvious reasons.

Photo 3681: Onto the wing. The leading edge intakes are not discussed in the instructions, so I did a little on-line search for walk-around photos of same and made parts fro spruce plywood to allow an opening with depth and accuracy. A time-consuming addition, but well worth the effort.

Photo 3691: Shown here are the rough primed parts. The exhaust troughs, cowl vents and wing intakes are all being finessed. The drop tank is a corrected one often used in the F8F's service in later years. It is a sandwich of two balsa halves and a brass insert that represents the hemispheric joint of the actual part. Surface details like control surface outlines and panel joints are being added. Care should be taken to not overdo the depth of these details. Always study as many photos as you can find and take note of what the eye sees and what is too subtile to show up. Many modelers, including yours truly, have been known to overemphasize these. The end result is a model that looks like  a jig-saw puzzle.

Photo 3516: Since the landing gear struts and wheels were all missing from the kit, I decided to show the Bearcat in a flight attitude. Further, I decided to include a depiction the Grumman logo from that period. It is hand-cut from 1/16" spruce plywood, the base is cut from scrap shelf stock. If you have access to a laser cutter, the lettering in the logo would be much easier to duplicate. I spent more time sanding and correcting my errant saw strokes than I did cutting it initially. Time and care really pay off at this point. The black lettering was a copier printed decal. The finishing materials I use are automotive primer (spray can) and Tamiya spray colors. The base is silver automotive lacquer with several primar coats and three color coats wet sanded between applications.

I hope this group of descriptions are of help to our members. As a client once emphasized to me " Roger, the devil is in the details." I can't overstate just how true those words are.

Roger M. Cortani, IDSA
September 28, 2017

Please note photo 3681 was not uploaded.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:12:50 PM by lastvautour »

lastvautour

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6141
Re: Roger's Dyna-Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Here is the missing photo.

Lou

lastvautour

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6141
Re: Roger's Dyna-Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
Comments on finishing his Dyna-Model F8F-1

The balsa was wiped-down with Slo-Zap CA glue then primed with automotive lacquer scratch filler (gray primer). The finish coats are Tamiya spray and a Testors high gloss coat clear was applied both before and after the decals. I use automotive spot lacquer putty where needed--primer sanding is wet-or-dry 400 and 600 grit and the color coats are sanded with 1000 grit. I usually do not sand or polish the final clear coats. --Roger


Lou
For Roger aka Cortny

lastvautour

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6141
Re: Roger's Dyna-Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
Photos would have helped.

Lou

Boomerang

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 823
Re: Roger's Dyna-Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:34:06 AM »

 Ina word.... Superb!

Flying T

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 26
  • WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE FAV
Re: Roger's Dyna-Model Products F8F-1 Bearcat
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
 8) THIS MODEL IS REALLY COOL. I CANT TELL IT FROM PLASTIC. HOPE TO BE ABLE TO REACH YOUR
LEVEL WHEN I GROW UP. 68 & COUNTING
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)