• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

My take on Solids.

Started by tshirt_tony, June 29, 2018, 06:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tshirt_tony

Hello all,

I thought it about time I posted here, I've been taking a look on and off for what seems like ages now.

I'm a Model Collector and a Builder, plastic and wood, although my built wooden models can be comfortably counted on the fingers of one hand!
My unbuilt wooden collection is a bit more expansive and goes back to the thirties.
I came to wooden solids via my plastic building and collecting. Once I got serious about the idea I found myself more and more interested in the early days of modelling. FROG Penguins, Skybirds and early Monogram wooden kits got the fire started.
Interest grew at a rapid rate once I discovered the Collectair site. I visited the store in Santa Barbara years back and left with a pile of models and magazines that were the start of my solids collection.
A friend put me on to a collection for sale here in the UK and I acquired a whole load of Ayrida, Skyleada, Grace and CMA unbuilt models along with many other manufactures models.
Since then I've found bits and pieces here and there, a Skybird Meteor at Comet Miniatures just before they closed down for instance. My latest arrival is a CMA Meteor in 1.48 scale that sits nicely alongside the Skybird kit.
I'm slow off the mark with building solids, I'm not about to build a mint kit that's been intact since the forties, but I will happily copy the parts to build a model to sit with the kit.

Here's a few of my kits...

A Skyleada Messer Shmitt 109, their spelling, not mine! My first ever solid build. It's fairly faithfull to the plan, but unlike any Bf109 I know off.

A Master Modelcraft B29 Superfortress in a generic box. Only the type number stamped on the end panel to tell you what's inside. A good looking model. It came from Collectaire in the USA.

And here's my latest kit, a CMA Meteor, sat alongside another of my interests, a 1945 copy of Aeromodeller.

There's loads more where they came from, let me know if I should post them here at some point.

Tony.

lastvautour

That is fantastic Tony. Thanks for sharing. If you buold a solid model in 2018 you qualify to have it added the the 2018 poster.

Lou

tshirt_tony

Not a bad idea!  :D

I'm currently building a workshop shed in my garden, once my tools come out of storage I can make a start on a solid model project.

I'll probably have a crack at copying the CMA Meteor in 1.48 scale. The parts look easy enough to reproduce on a bandsaw and are a decent size for a novice like me to have half a chance at success.

If it turns out OK, I have a few more I can copy!

lastvautour

Flying T

Hi, I like your work and ideas of making copys from old kits,see mine at Larry,s models,from south Carolina by way of Cleveland ohio,i collect digital copies of  aeromodeller,could u scan the solid wood plan if any,rclibrary and rcbookcase don't have it,love these solids too.would really appreciate it.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)

R.F.Bennett

Plans can still be scanned and posted in the SMM gallery, markings, patterns and scans of the boxes are also encouraged.  ;D
"The Dude Abides"

Flying T

did u copy that meteor? like to see it,love the model airplane mags u british published,modelar in Poland has a solid wood plan in their more current mags, check rc bookcase,
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)