• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2017 COOK UP - PROFILE

Started by lastvautour, September 07, 2017, 07:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Roll out number 3 Freece Tricolory. Decals are Aerodecal bought some 50 years ago. They were perfect for the G-91.

Lou

lastvautour

Additional photos.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out number 4 Royal Canadian Navy Banshee. Straight forward profile with home made decals using film recommend by Gordon.

Lou

lastvautour

Additional photos.

Lou

lastvautour

I just remembered we have an excellent resource for profile planes at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?cat=13
Our gallery contains 90 drawing of various WWII aircraft. Just ignore the contours and make all pieces from thinned down wood. I used 1/4 inch pine but if we have another cook up I will use 3/16 and do the Garet Scale method.

Lou
Example

Flying T

doing a P-40 Warhawk, 1/8 balsa,1/72-1/80 scale for profile 8)
cut sealed and ready to sand.
FLYING T (AKA. LARRY)

Boomerang

I found an old sheet of 1/8 "  MDF ( Medium Density Fibreboard) . Scratched the head for a bit.

Remembered where I had some drawings of the Yak 15 and Supermarine Swift ( then I found there already was one in the cook up but decided to press on). A few hours later and I have a 1/48 Yak 15 and a 1/72 Swift cut out. Tomorrow I'll see about sticking them together.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Way to go Gordon. I was getting lonely. Here is a progress shot:
Scimitar painted awaiting decals
Panther primed awaiting paint
Starfire awaiting primer
Strikemaster awaiting everything.

Lou

lastvautour

Larry writes:

the P-40 is ready to be sanded down. do the markings have to be painted
or stuck on? decided scale around 1/72-1/80.have scanner that converts to pdf.
am using 1/8"balsa for it,taking pics too.

Lou for Larry aka Flying T

lastvautour

Larry, the markings are totally up to you.
I have painted the markings by hand with many failures as one needs a steady hand.
I have used white paper with white glue and a touch up with super glue when the edges lift.
I use peel and stick label paper to mixed success and on rare occasion still needed a bit of super glue here and there.
I have used plastic model decal spares box.
I now print my own decals on decal film but that is great debate all on its own..

I personally aim for a reasonable facsimile rather than perfections. I know I can't attain those super finishes and I am quite happy with what I call ID + level of completion. (ID + is correct dimensions but low on fine details) It works for me and I am completely satisfied with my projects. I applaud those who can do that professional finish and on rare occasion I surpass my ID + level.

To make a long story short, I do what pleases me and all modelers should find there personal level of comfort.

Lou

lastvautour

Number five rolled out this afternoon. The Scimitar presented some challenges as it is has rounded intakes rather than wing root mounted.

Lou

Boomerang

1/48 YAK 15 and 1/72 Supermarine Swift.

Decals are done. May get them done tomorrow.

Gordon

lastvautour

Excellent profiles Gordon. I should have done my Scimitar intakes like your Swift. I like the idea of acrylic canopies. It really sets them off. Is it Plexiglas or Lexan.

Lou

lastvautour

Roll out number six is the Grumman Panther in VU-1 Squadron colours. All markings were printed on my HP Printer.

Lou

RyanShort1

Those are definitely looking nice!