• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Nakajima B5N2 Kate in 1/56

Started by johnnytodd, August 25, 2017, 12:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnytodd

Well, I managed to make some progress on my Nakajima Kate torpedo bomber in 1/56 scale.  Not sure I'll make my deadline of 8/31 as I still need to hollow out the cockpit for three crewmen, create the crew, construct the landing gear, prop and torpedo...and paint!

lastvautour

You capture the lines of the Kate. Look f0rward to how you do your cockpits. Please post photos and details.

Lou

johnnytodd

Chipping away at the cockpit with a jewelers saw:

johnnytodd

A bit more work done on the cockpits.  I use a flex-shaft high speed drill with a reamer? bit to open up the compartments.

johnnytodd

Tonight I cut the tailwheel out of 2mm mild steel. Brass would have been easier to cut but I have plenty of steel

lastvautour

Wonderful approach. Unfortunately for me I have no metals other than tin cans. However your ideal would be great on smaller 1/144 scale tail wheels. So the next 1/144 project may contain such parts. Blade antennae come to mind in any scale. Thanks for the tip.

Lou

johnnytodd

A while back I bought a set of cheap Chinese leather punches from ebay - turns out they work well for scoring wheel lines into basswood:

lastvautour

lastvautour

I sent you a copy of the Profile Publication Nakajima B5N2 Kate

Lou

johnnytodd

Well I finally finished the Kate!  Here are some photos:

lastvautour

Fantastic workmanship. One to be proud of.

Lou

Boomerang

Well Done John! Looks great.

Looking forward to the Buffalo.

Gordon

Model Maker

Very impressive John!!

The camo looks great. Needless to say the open cockpit with figures certainly adds to the model. - ken