• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Photograph of your model to aid in carving

Started by FlyingS, June 25, 2017, 12:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingS

Maybe everyone already knows this, but this what I discovered by accident. I took several photos of my work in progress (and I thought I had a good eye for symmetry) looking at the photos I started to see features that weren't central to the center line and imperfections in finished sanding etc. It was a real "eye" opener for me. From now on I'm taking photos of my models in work to help improve my skills.
Hope this is helpful.
Harv

lastvautour

I find photos help my projects all the time.

Lou

FlyingS

Yea, I was really surprised when I looked closely at the photos I took of my current project.  :o

Pete1616

For many years I've been downloading photos of the aircraft that I'm carving. Sometimes I find that the patterns, as in the "virtual aircraft museum" are flawed....I'm working on a Sikorsky S 51 presently, the pattern (which I enlarged ) showed the helicopter with a flat bottom. When I stared looking at photos they showed it as curved.....Ok I work in "box scale" and don't paint my carvings.....but, the finished work must be as accurate as possible.....with constraints due to size etc.. I've disposed of all my patterns, some to the recycling bin, but I've given about 50 to the Niagara falls wood carving club. The all include photos along with the plan is the Lucite pattern which I use to draw on the wood for band sawing. The Lucite is available at quilting stores and sure beats the method I started with....cereal boxes!
Pete1616

FlyingS

I always thought the S51 was one of the coolest historical helicopters. I retired from Sikorsky Aircraft, I worked there for 27 years. I was a toolmaker then I went into engineering. Some where I have paper prints of the R4 if your interested I should be able to photograph them.

Pete1616

Thanks, Harv.

My first R4 is in an air museum, my second, complete with photos etc is cut out and ready to start. Next, while I'm in the helicopter mode, will be the Piasecki, then the Boeing Vertol will be the last. Then it's back to "things with wings"
Pete1616