• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Halifax MkIII

Started by Model Maker, January 17, 2017, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

Your jigs and building aids are also works of art, I would like to see a build and use guide to those, tall order I know, but I believe the way each of us builds the same model through different methods and with our own choice of tooling is the hallmark of true craftsmanship.
"The Dude Abides"

Model Maker

Thanks for the compliment Rae. But the jigs and aids are just functional items - noting special. I try to capture these during the build to spark ideas for others. I'm sure folks have incorporated enhancements to meet their specific requirements.

With respect to the guide which you suggest, I think it's a great idea. I would propose the "Tools" posting section is a great spot to capture - tools, jigs etc. and the "Techniques" posting section  to capture the unique ways for making specific components etc.

Just a couple of thoughts for consideration and discussion.

lastvautour

How is the Halifax fleet coming along?

Lou

johnnytodd

Wow!  I just saw this thread.  Model Maker - I love your precise, detailedl work!  Reminds me that I really need a drill press.

Model Maker

Halifax is on temporary hold due to some construction in the basement. Hoping to restart in a week or so.

Not sure the Halifax is as detailed as other models on the site. But hopefully it will be a fair representation.

Yes - a drill press is very handy!! I have a couple, but gravitate to the bench top one for most of my work. I was able to pick up a new bench top model very cheap ($70 cdn) from one of the big box stores when it went on sale. But there are lots of used ones listed on kijiji in the same price range.

lastvautour

Ken, from what I have seen you have great modeling skills. Unlike model contest atmosphere, I build for myself and although I know there are some critical flaws in my work(Liberator Mk V tail plane), I really don't have anyone to please except myself. Keep on posting those progress shots. I look forward to seeing them.

Lou

Boomerang

Ken,

I look forward too seeing the brace of Halifax's together

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Ken are you  taking the summer off ;D? Haven't hear from you in a while.

Lou

Model Maker

Yes I have had to take some time away from building. Have started back at the three Halifax models, but as the old saying goes, 2 steps forward and one step back. Had a problem with profile  shape of one wing, so had to scrap it and make a new one. In my haste, I was a little heavy with the chisel cuts and paid the price. In addition, had a problem with one of the  templates for the nacelles which resulted in the inboard nacelles not being parallel to the outboard ones, so had to redo the outboard ones. Dare I say, I'm getting better at creating solid nacelles to fit the wing profile!!

However, things seem to be back on track now so I should be posting some progress shots shortly.

-ken

lastvautour

Model Maker

Not very much. Nothing worth posting. Once I finish the Christmas gift model(s) I'll switch back to the Halifax models. I also have three P-51's which require painting and have also been on the back burner so I'll run all 6 through the painting process at the same time.

lastvautour

Thank you for the update.

Lou

lastvautour

How are your projects coming along?

Lou

Model Maker

Hi Lou;

The progress is much slower than I had hoped due to competing items. I was able to construct a tail section for a Halifax last week. Am hoping to complete some additional detailing before capturing and posting some pictures. Stay tuned!!

Thanks for following up. - ken

Model Maker

Finally back at it! :) As usual, the fuselage tang is held by the carving clamp to provide stability and free up a hand to assist in tool control.

Fuselage of first plane rough shaped. Tried a "new toy" - a micro plane for shaping. It's sold in kitchen supply shops for grating, but does a great job on wood. It's faster and smoother than using a file.  It may be a little large for smaller scales, but works well on this size of model. Recess for rear turret cut out. I wasn't comfortable trying to carve the turret integral with the fuselage, so opted to shape it separately and glue it to the fuselage.

Fuselage flipped over and slot cut to accommodate wing. Separate belly pod dry fitted.

Wing and filler piece dry fitted prior to gluing and shaping. In hindsight, I should have attached the nacelles to the wing before gluing the wing to the fuselage. It would have been easier to confirm a uniform alignment of the nacelles. Will modify the assembly sequence on the next two models.

Rear turret glued in place. Slot in fuselage for horizontal stabilizer started. I like to carve the end points before removing the material in the centre. This help ensure I don't remove too much material in the centre. Also show is the rough shaped rear turret. I wanted the turret installed so I could obtain a good fit up with the horizontal stabilizer.

Horizontal stabilizer and vertical stabilizers dry fitted. Both stabilizers are relatively thing and long, so I opted to make them from maple rather than pine for added strength. I was also worried about the strength of the connection between the two stabilizers, so I opted for the mortise and tendon approach with the tendon going completely through the vertical stabilizer. This seemed to produce a strong joint even when dry fitted. Top turret dry fitted as well. I'll add the gun barrels to both turrets after painting is complete so I can centre them inside the painted frames. Will use 1/32" piano wire for the barrels. Ordered the corresponding 1/32" drill bits from the local hobby shop last week so I will have them on hand when required.

Control surface outlines created using a wood burner. Will see how this turns out during the painting process. Hopefully they won't become filled by the primer.