• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,

Did exactly as you suggested in the instructions:

Balsabasher

You have done very well there Gorrit,carving in the canopy on any model is a difficult job let alone on a Mosquito.
Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: Balsabasher on November 06, 2013, 10:07:36 AM
You have done very well there Gorrit,carving in the canopy on any model is a difficult job let alone on a Mosquito.
Barry.
Thanks Barry.
I must admit that I was quite nervous doing it, really don't want to mess up at this point.
I also wonder if I have removed enough, I was being very careful.
Waiting for Lou his approval  :D

lastvautour

Now come some contour work on the bottom fuselage. Taking the template measure the distance between the edges to remove the triangular area in the lower corners of the fuselage block. Using the finger pencil method draw your lines. Note that the distance should decrease as you approach the tail area. Now using the knife or chisel, remove the triangle formed by your lines. I have a video, unfortunately it is two big to uplaod and I don,t have another Mossie fuselage to take shorter videos.

As you carve always cut down from the bombay area to the tail and bombay area to the nose. That will prevent you taking too big a chuck of wood.
Lou

lastvautour

Now once the corners are taken off, remark the areas taking smaller triangular shapes until you are fairly close to what the template shape is showing you. Things are still fairly rough at this point. Mine is a bit lumpsided but that will be fixed shortly.

Lou

lastvautour

Taking out your sanding block and paper round the bottom of the fuselage so it is even on both sides. Take care at the forward end not to cut into the bombardier aiming window. There is no need to get it perfect yet, but whenever you get a few minutes, look it over and roll it around to different angle to see if you have high spots.

Lou

lastvautour

Making pencil lines around the fuselage will help gauge the shape of your part.

Lou

lastvautour

Again with the finger pencil method mark off the area for removal from the top fuselage. Once the first triangular part is removed, remark to make additonal areas to take off and do so using either the knife or chisel.

Lou

lastvautour

Now take the sanding block and paper and round things off all over the fuselage. You can make contour lines using a paper guide to see how you are doing.

Lou

lastvautour

Although It was not mentioned yet, I see you marked off the wing plug. Using the fuselage side view template locate the leading edge wing center point. I used a pin to punch a pin hole in the fuselage at both leading and trailing edge. Flip the template over and mark the other side. Compare both side to ensure these points line up. Using the forward pin point mark off 15mm and 20mm as show. Using a saw cut down to the line that stretches between the forward and rear wing edges. The section between 2 and 3 will be removed later.

Lou

Balsabasher

Its a great feeling when the model starts to take on its shape like this,hope that I am not spoiling your thread Lou by commenting on your progress and Gorrits excellent efforts.
Barry.

lastvautour

Not at all Barry. I wish others would comment. For those who may not know it, just select the reply icon in the lower left of the comment box and type away. Once done, merely select post afterwards and it is done..

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Barry, I am really glad you are commenting.
It motivates me to try harder.
Since I am completely new to this, I feel insecure about my progress.
Not sure if I am doing it the right way.
The comments from others encourage me to keep going.

I certainly realize it will not be a perfect model, but as it is my first I am actually really proud of the progress I made so far.
And very thankful towards Lou for the time and effort he is taking to guide me.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Lou,
thank you for posting updates for me every day.
This really keeps the pace up and I am glad everyday to find your new instructions.

Except for the last step (sawing into the fuselage, really??) I am up to speed.

Jorrit

Balsabasher

Gorrit the work and dedication that you are putting into this is paying off nicely,here we are seeing the results of your labours and its a good feeling when the shape evolves as it is doing,dont worry about perfection that takes time,more important is the enjoyment that you are getting from this build,all done with your own hands,you are doing just great and every day brings with it something new to learn.
Barry.