• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1.JaVA_LGorrit

As I am getting closer an closer to the desired thickness of the wing I am getting more nervous with the chisel.
Should I continue carefully or switch to more delicate tools?
Hobby knife or sanding paper.
Some guidance would be appreciated.
I will upload progress pictures as soon as I have the chance.

lastvautour

Once you get close to the line, switch to coarse sandpaper. I use 80 grit paper but you can get coarser than that if you wish. Sand cross grain rather than with the grain. The attached photo give shows the directions I use to sand down. Once we have the desired thickness we will start on block shaping other parts.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,

I have now one fuselage block, and a wing brought down to the right dimensions (just noticed the bottom picture, I still have some sanding to do).
Can you please advise the next steps?

Thanks.

cliff strachan

It certainly looks like a Mosquito now Jorrit. Nice work you are doing.
Cliff.

lastvautour

One think I forgot to tell you is to keep marking your center lines. You can barely see it in this photo but it is there. Once you have the wing tapered on both sides we will go at it again.

Lou

lastvautour

However I find it boring just to be doing one thing so I usually have a few things going on at once. Cut out the nacelles once you have reduce the thickness of the block using your chisel and sand paper. Next cut out the nacelle from the block using your fretsaw, or hobby knife or chisel until you are very close to the outline. You will note that I deviated from the plans by cutting out the wing area just aft of the leading edge of the wing. I will explain when we mate the wing and nacelles.

Lou

lastvautour

The only other major components are the stab and fin. I used my fretsaw and cut the stab down to about 7 or 8 mm. Once done you can trim the edges of the stab.

Lou

lastvautour

Another is to wait until you have thinned the wood before cutting the stab out. Either way is acceptable. Just do the same for the vertical fin. The block of wood can be spit using your chisel if you feel the grain runs fairly straight. Once the wood is down to approx. 3/16 or 4mm run a line in the center of the outside edge. It does not matter that the wood is not perfectly sanded down the final dimension. Place a line approx. 7mm from the outer edge on both sides. More on that later. Do the same for the vertical fin.

I have added a teaser photo to let you know what your will look like shortly.

Balsabasher

As with all of your models Lou I can sense that joy in their construction from the photographs and instructions you are giving here,and what better way than to pass on that knowledge to other potential solid modellers,back in my own days there was no internet to share knowledge in this way,instead I used to watch my father sanding away at small solids thinking to myself one day I will be making them just like that ! its good to give something back to the hobby in the way that you are doing,its priceless in fact and truly keeping the tradition alive.
Barry.

lastvautour

I get up in the morning and turn on the PC hoping that Jorrit and Peter have posted something so I can carry on. This is the spirit of the hobby and I am loving it. I wish more would join in on the group builds.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: cliff strachan on October 22, 2013, 04:14:55 PM
It certainly looks like a Mosquito now Jorrit. Nice work you are doing.
Cliff.

Thanks Cliff.
It's a pleasure to see the model coming to life slowly.
I am really glad Lou is taking the time to teach me how to do it.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Made a block first and extracted the fin and stab.
Here's a picture of what it looks like now:

Next on the agenda are the nacelles.
I will probably get to it this evening.

I am maybe moving a bit slow, but I am really happy it is like this.
I have 2 jobs, I am married and my daughter is 9 years old.
The days are flying by, but after my daughter goes to bed and the dog has had her round I can find some time for myself.

I withdraw into the shed with some coffee, turn on the tuberadio from the 1930's which was a present from my dad.
I light a pipe and start working on the mosquito model.
This hour or so, really keeps me going, it is almost like therapy :D
During the day I dream about it, and also how the model will look when it is finished.

Balsabasher

Gorrit you paint a wonderful picture of your surroundings and I can relate to them so well,you are so right as solid modelling is so theraputic and we can engross ourselves in the joy of creating these little miniatures with our very own hands.

Just like Lou I look forward to seeing your progress no matter how small,its into the shed for me as well soon after breakfast and the sun is shining so may take a few circuits around the field with my small Tiger Moth flying model as well later.

Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: Balsabasher on October 24, 2013, 09:01:15 AM
the sun is shining so may take a few circuits around the field with my small Tiger Moth flying model as well later.

Barry.

That's great! Is it a remote control version or a "Rubber powered" version?

My brother gifted me a Balsa model of the Ju-87 Stuka that is rubber powered and can even be converted to RC if necessary.
I think somewhere between the Mosquito and the Beaver I will start on that.

Guillow 1/32 Ju-87 Stuka Balsa Model Kit  http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/guillow-132-ju-87-stuka/

lastvautour

That is great Jorrit. Just reduce the thickness of the stab and fin to approx. 4mm and we will go from there. There is no rush to finish the model as long as you are enjoying it. Some of my projects have been ongoing for years.

Lou