• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Using your chisel, shave off the wood slowly until you are down to the line.

Lou

lastvautour

Cut the canopy out of the side template and drawing the canopy outline.

Lou

Balsabasher

You like your templates like me Lou,they are so useful throughout the construction of any model,I cut bits out of them as well as I go along to get datums and other things.
Barry.

lastvautour

So true Barry.

Now use the template to draw the nose profile looking down and up. Place the template as vertical as possible and looking down make your line. Laying the template on the top of the fuselage will distort the profile as it will be tilted downward at the front. Once done it should look something like photo 2. The bomber's aiming window should be drawn oval by looking at pictures on line as it is not well presented  in the plan.

Lou

lastvautour

Next, chisel off the larger portions of the material and finish off with the hobby knife. Take care not to cut into the bomber aiming window area. At this point we should have a squared fuselage block.

Lou

lastvautour

Now cut out the forward fuselage template at the base of the canopy. This image is taken while look straight down from the top. The line drawn runs up the windscreen for now. Note when looking at the V shape line, it only looks straight when viewed from the top (photo 2). That is OK.

Lou

PS I forgot, mark off the rear of the canopy outline using the previous template.

Balsabasher

The Mosquito canopy shape is very distinctive and really makes the model come alive,your carving and marking up say it all.
Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,
Thanks for contacting Garet to give me more space.
I have the square fuselage now as indicated.

lastvautour

You sure do not look like an amateur. Your work is coming along at a great pace. We now work on the forward fuselage.

First, make a vertical cut on the base of the forward canopy. Rock the knife blade back and forth to get down when cutting cross grain like this. Next turn your blade 90 degrees and remove the excess wood.
Next looking at the template for the shape of the forward fuselage place line to make a removal triangle to start shaping. Although the photo does not show it, make lines on the top of the forward fuselage as well. The next post has a video to show how to remove the triangular parts and start getting some shape to the forward portion.

Lou

lastvautour

Click on the image to view video of shaping the forward fuselage.

Lou

Balsabasher

Love the videos Lou they explain some things that are difficult to describe in print.
Barry.

lastvautour

The biggest problem is making the video short enough to be able to upload it.

Lou

lastvautour

Canopy windscreen work. Click on image for video.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou just a thought if video length is an issue,have you thought about using Yotube as you can have as long as you like there ?
Barry.

lastvautour

Rear canopy work. Click on image for video.

Lou