• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: lastvautour on October 03, 2013, 02:28:01 PM
Anybody can join in at any time or select another aircraft if they so wish.

Would I still be in time to select the Mosquito instead?
I have a stronger bond with this aircraft.

Please let me know if this is still possible.

Thanks.

Jorrit

lastvautour

Yes, I will make a separate post for the Mossie. I already made one and it did turn out quite well.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

That turned out a masterpiece!
Can't wait to start on one for myself.

lastvautour

The Mossie has a lot of colour schemes and many versions. We will do the bomber version as per the F Series of WWII ID plans at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=115

Scale drawings forthcoming

lastvautour

lastvautour

Once printed and measured, cut out the patterns and glue to cardboard. I find cereal boxes are best. I have selected my wood. I need to know what tools you have at your disposal. This will affect how we cut and shape the model. My first models were done using my mom's paring knife. We still joke about it at family reunion time.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou, it seems the measurements are not accurate. Waiting for your reply by mail.

My tools are limited:
- fretsaw
- wood rasp
- sanding papers
- paint necessities

Can you please let me know what more I will need?
A carving knife perhaps?

Also, what kind of wood should I choose?
And where do you normally get it?

BR,
Jorrit

lastvautour

Jorrit, you should have the following:

A blade of some sort such as a chisel or even a blade from a hand planer. A hobby knife will also do the trick but will take longer. If need be, a paring knife will also do the trick.

A saw The fretsaw is ideal, I have one and will use it to demonstrate how to cut your wood.

As to wood itself, a soft tight grain such as basswood, pine or similar is ideal. I don't know what is available in the Netherlands. Balsa can be used but it is soft and will require much more work in preparing the wood for painting. I get my wood from the local lumber yards and try to pick up left overs of short pieces of wood. If impossible to get wood with no knots, try to find a piece that will have a clear area large enough for you to cut out the wing and fuselage. Packaged door frames are normally fairly straight grain and have few knots but can run you a few Euros. Salvage wood work just as good and can save you a few bucks. Over half my models are recycled wood of some sort. You need not find exact measurement, just something that will be slightly larger than the piece you want to make. In my last photo you will note that I have two pieces of wood that will be cut and reduced in thickness to fit the various parts. I will show you how to do that also. Your next task is to find the wood required. So you are now on a scavenge hunt to find suitable building materiel.

Lou

lastvautour

Tools can vary. I have selected some tools to show you. The first photo has 4 grades of sand paper I place on nails for convenience. The next is a full sheet of medium grit paper with my favorite sanding block. Blocks can be any size. Last is a photo of various tools. You don't need them all but you should have one blade tool. I have two chisels and the blade from a small hand planer I no longer use. The blade work well by itself. The rasp you mentioned. A hobby knife or utility knife comes in handy. The second photo shows how to cut out a part using a coping saw (European Fret Saw). That we will discuss later.

First and foremost we will straighten the problem with the plan.

Lou

Balsabasher

This is going to encourage so many people to build solids,well done Lou.
Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hey Lou,

Thanks for the wing, I think this time I have the right measurements.
All I need now is the rest of the plans.  :)

Concerning the tools, I think I have almost everything.
I think I will pick up a chisel and a hobby knife just to be safe.

The wood will be a challenge though.
I think I will have to visit some different stores.
I saw someone was renovating his house in the city.
Throwing away the old window frames.
Think I will have to go on a scavenge hunt this evening.
See if the wood can be used.

lastvautour

I don't know about the Netherlands, but here in Canada most window frames are good quality pine. Knotty pine would make it hard to paint as the knots usual show through even after several coats of paint. Good luck on your hunt.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Thanks Lou,
I think I have printed it all now.

Hunting for wood now, I will stop by that container during my lunchbreak.
Can you give me any tips about the size and thickness of what I will need?
Certain things I have to keep in the back of my mind?
I saw on your pictures that your wood is slightly bigger than what the final result will be.
Did you find it like this in plates?
Or is your first piece of wood much bigger?

Did you slice it up? If yes, how?

Sorry for all the questions.
I guess I am just really eager to start on it :-).

Edit: container was already gone, local wood dump was not allowed to give me any wood, so will try the woodstore around the corner later.

Jorrit

lastvautour

Sorry about you missing out. I normally start with boards which are approx. 20cm thick and of various sizes. If I need thicker I laminate or on rare occasion I can buy a 2" thick plank costing around $4.00 CDN per running foot. I have used recycled baseboards, window and door casings. It is are that you will find the exact thickness you need so improvisation is the key. Working with various thickness of wood is not a problem as it is relatively easy to cut it down to what you need. One area is perhaps a craft store where people paint pictures on wooden boards. Sometimes they use 1/2 or 3/4 inch wood and if long and wide enough, their artistic talents can be removed easily. If the picture is poor, maybe the price will be lower.

Where did you find the wood for your Mustang and Geebee racer?

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,
My profile planes were made out of MDF (mustang) and 3-sheet plywood (GeeBee).
This is available in every woodshop here.
It will be more difficult to get thicker sheets.

We will see how it goes, I will just keep my eyes open.