• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Handley Page Hampden - A guide to WWII ID Models

Started by lastvautour, September 28, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Photo 1
Next using the template locate the forward leading edge of the wing. There is a dot on the template to identify this. I use a pin or any sharp point to transfer the location to both sides of the fuselage.

Photo 2
Mark the center line of the wing root. You will note that the trailing edge ends on former C. If your wing does not fit the dimension, we will sort that out later.

Photo 3
Mark off the location where the fuselage will sit on the wing.

Photo 4
Starting at the leading edge of the wing root mark off a line at the 2cm and 4cm as per the photo.

Photo 5
Using your scroll saw or what ever saw suits you cut the 2 lines up to the center line and leave as is. The wing is marked and cut in a similar fashion, however the cut is from the leading edge back to the first 2cm line and from the back forward to the second 2cm line leaving a 2cm section uncut. Again do not remove any sections yet.

Lou

The last photo is just to show where we are heading in the future. Do not remove any sections yet.

lastvautour

Photo 1
Now we take the cross section and mark off the rounded portion at the top. It is the same curvature for the bottom. I should have marked the bottom of the cross section to avoid confusion.

Photo 2
Placing a diagonal line will indicate what section we want to remove.

Photo 3
Mark the location of the triangular section we want to remove from the bottom of the fuselage and remove it with a chisel or hobby knife. Take care of the direction of the grain as you may cut too deeply into the fuselage bottom.

Photo 4
Here the triangular parts have been removed. You may use a knife or chisel to round things off a bit. Note the fuselage is siting up side down.

Photo 5
I preferred to just sand the contour using the bench mounted coarse sandpaper sheet.

Photo 6
Here we have the contour of the fuselage bottom. The cut line act as contour lines to show what the curvature is. You can add pencil lines to do the same thing at various points.

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,

Sorry for my tardiness, real life and all that stuff.  I haven't posted photos but I have been keeping up. I redid my wings leading edge after studying your photos. I broke the trailing edge, which caused foul language that would of made a sailor blush :o I have repaired the trailing edge, which was actually kind of fun.

Peter

Hi Barry,

Here are some photos of the plane you asked about during your bench patrol.

lastvautour

The Hampden is looking great Peter. I will go on to the top of the fuselage and mating the engines to the wing shortly. Other obligations keep me away also. Grocery shopping, bingo etc...

Lou

buccfan

Great progress on the Hampden Peter. Real life always comes up with something!!!!!. I must say that your tutorials are top notch when it comes to attention to detail Lou, and are excellent to follow, even if you are not making one at the same time,(your videos as well especially the siege!) Best regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Thanks Peter for the further pictures,yes although the Aeromodeller futuristic at the time the nearest aircraft to your twin boom pusher  type would be the Stearman Hammond Y-1.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Peter your Hampden looks really good,and you took the inituitive to repair that trailing edge,highly commendable work.
Barry.

lastvautour

I got ahead of my self in the last photos. Using your hobby knife, carefully insert the blade on one side then the other to pop out the fuselage plug. Keep that piece somewhere safe. I keep loosing mine.

Lou
PS Two knives for demo purpose only.

lastvautour

Remove the wing cutout sections as well. Note that it may not be a perfect fit. That always happens to me. I prefer it to be tighter rather than loose.

Lou

lastvautour

My initial attempt to mate the wing to the fuselage met with great resistance as the wing opening was not quite wide enough. Using the hobby knife carefully remove equal amounts from both wings/front and back to slip the fuselage into the opening.

Lou

lastvautour

Now you will note that the wing will not go in far enough to match the templates. Using a razor saw or coping saw cut down no more than half the thickness of the wing and remove the center section. Now the fuselage will fit better but not quite there yet. Now using the hobby knife make the fuselage plug hole deeper until the center of the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing meets the template location.  You can also see that my airfoil shape need some work so I adjusted it using the sandpaper method.

Lou

Peter

lastvautour

No rush Peter. This is your build. I want you to be successful, so don't rush on my account.

Lou

Balsabasher

Always exciting when the wing to fuselage is offered up,its got real character Lou this model,these final cutting adjustments really make the assembly go smoothly,a little off at a time is the answer.
Barry.