• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Handley Page Hampden - A guide to WWII ID Models

Started by lastvautour, September 28, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Barry, feel free to comment at anytime.

Peter, complete the taper of the wing using your chisel and follow it up with some sanding on a coarse sheet of sand paper. As Barry mentioned before, cover your coffee cup.

Lou

Balsabasher

Top tip-
Get hold of a piece of scrap toughened glass,old glass kitchen cabiets etc,spray spraymount adhesive onto the glass and also the rear of the glasspaper,press it down smooth.
You now have the finest rubbing surface,just like you have in your picture here,glass is so flat like nothing else,when the glasspaper is worn out just lift it off with a bit of assistance from a scraper and lay on a new sheet of abrasive paper.
Barry.

lastvautour

Hi Peter, did you get a chance for any more work on your Hampden?

Lou

Peter

Hi Lou,

I'm off Monday and Tuesday so most of that will be dedicated to the Hampden. This weekend between work I'll be re sharpening my knives and chisels which is longer over do.

Peter

Peter

Hi Lou,

I have finished shaping and sanding the wing and nacelles. I have also reduced the fuselage to the correct thickness on the bench hook. I'm awaiting further instructions. I am having trouble posting the photos this time. I'll take new ones possibly they are to big.

Peter

Peter

Hi Lou,

I took new photos and roughed out the tail feathers at the same time. I'm getting a message that says upload folder is full so I can't post the photos, any ideas?

Peter

Oceaneer99

Peter, try uploading photos now.  We had hit the maximum default folder size, but I just doubled the setting.

Garet

Peter

Peter

Here's a couple more

Peter

Balsabasher

Peter workbench patrol here ! what is the little twin boom aeroplane you have under construction ? it looks interesting,congratulations on your excellent progress on the Hampden,teacher will be proud of you.

Barry.

lastvautour

Peter, you are actually ahead of me as I have yet to carve the fuselage top profile. Looking pretty good so far. I will go on to tail feathers. I see you have slimmed down the stabs.

lastvautour

Peter, you are actually ahead of me as I have yet to carve the fuselage top profile. Looking pretty good so far. I will go on to tail feathers. I see you have slimmed down the stabs. And cut out the parts. All that is required is to shape the surfaces and attaché the vertical fins to the horizon stab. I carefully used my band saw but you can use your scroll saw to notch the parts together. If they don't go together easily, use a sharp blade to widen the notches. If you force them you will break them.(experience talking).

lastvautour

You will have noticed that I selected an alternate method of attaching the vertical and horizon fins. You may use the method in the instruction sheet, however I find that butt joints have a habit of breaking off. More on the tail feathers. Run a centered  line around outer edge of the part. I chose 5mm for the line on the flat part of the stab and 3mm on the fins. I then removed the excess wood using a sharp blade being very careful as it is easy to cut to much off at this point. You may also just use a sanding block to create the airfoil shape. The fin airfoil shape does not fit tightly against the stab. That is OK as we will use a slight amount of wood filler to fix that. Continue until the three parts are sanded to the airfoil shape.

You will note that the last photo shows a broken bottom fin. See, experience. That will be sorted out.

Lou

Balsabasher

What is the fuselage in the picture Lou ? the one that the Hampden tail is sitting on.
Barry.

lastvautour

The stabilizer slot shown in the instructions is called a clothespin joint. I can never seem to get those so I will just cut a square slot making sure it is perfectly horizontal to the fuselage. The small gaps will be filled with putty. I have yet to cut out this slot and probably will have to wait until the weekend as tonight we have cards and tomorrow the misses has darts. We are just social butterflies these days.

Lou