• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Modelcraft Explorer.

Started by Marsh, March 13, 2013, 03:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsh

https://flic.kr/p/WuaDgkHi,   I have made a start on the plan of the Modelcraft Explorer that is on this site (will add photos if pos.)
ATB  Marsh.

lastvautour

Now that is back to basics. I have lots of trees, unfortunately they are still alive and well. Looking forward to seeing a ship on line. I may join you in April.

Loy

lastvautour

What scale is your Explorer?

Lou
PS
I could not wait. Drawings have been scaled to 1/350 which will gives a lenght of 39.21 cm or 12.43 in. Now printing is another matter as I have my hands full with other projects.

Marsh

HI Lou,  It's  50ft to the inch, it will be just under 9". I am going to use a bit of plastic as well as wood on this one and might add a bit more to the model than on the plan (might not, see how it gets on).   I bought a DVD off Robert Wilson and it has a lot of good points in it and two nice plans.  Have a look at his site       www.miniatureships.blogspot.com   think that will get you started, then move on to all the ships he has made.
ATB   Marsh.
  PS He has two DVDs I got the one    How To Build Merchant Ships.

lastvautour

At 9" it come to 1/600 scale. That is a bit small for my fat fingers. I just browsed the link. It does make to blood run warm. Is there a comment somewhere on how he makes his water base? Regardless. He does excellent work. Are you making a full hull or a waterline model?

Lou

Marsh

Lou, My model will be a waterline model. The sea on his models is plasticine, the painting of the sea is his wife's work.
Not sure what I will make my sea out of  yet.
Marsh.

cliff strachan

You really did make a remarkable start on your model, Marsh. Cutting down trees for wood makes one seem quite not with it when they resort to buying balsawood from the store. But plasticine used to make a fine reproduction of a seascape. Mind you that was years ago. Probably when that piece of wood was just a sapling. I did at one time make a ship in a bottle using plasticine for the sea. Worked out OK.
Cliff.

Marsh

Cliff,  Might go with plasticine, but will have to pinch it off the grankids   :-[
  The tree was a cherry tree (wish I had a bandsaw).
Marsh.

Peter

It's looks really good Marsh. You have taken it to a whole new level of scratch building.

Peter

Marsh

Hi All,  I have now cut two vertical slots through the forward end and stern and fitted to profiles of sheet brass, to keep the shape.

Peter

Marsh,

I ordered the steamship disk yesterday.  If my wife asks why I order it. I'm going to say it's your fault and that your a bad influence on me. Seriously though, thanks it looks like it will be very helpful and the author seems like a nice chap too.

Peter

Marsh

Peter sorry   :D,    but it's a good help with the ship models.
ATB  Marsh.

Marsh

lastvautour

Great looking project.
Thank for the drawings.
Lou