• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WWII ID Models

Started by Kenny Horne, February 24, 2008, 07:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny Horne

Hey Gang,

well after looking at all of these plans once again, there is no way that I won't soon be building at least a few.  

I propose a Cook-up using these plans as a basis.  The traditional finish is flat black, with only those details included on the drawings to be included.  These requirements are in keeping with the purpose of the models, to be used as training devices by armed forces personelle.  These requirements are really no longer valid  ;) so I'd be fine with any finish chosen by the builder, as well as any added detail as desired.  The only suggestion would be that the finished model should clearly have used the Bureau of Aeronautics plans.  

Personally I will most likely build exactly to plan and finish black.  It's the romantic in me I guess.  I actually like the inacuracies in the plans and the lack of touchy details is of course how I always build.  But to each their own: Vive la difference!

Anyone else?

Kenny

lastvautour

You darn well know that I can't resist a challenge at a cook-up. Any specified scale? What where ID model scales?

Kenny Horne

Welcome aboard Lou,

Originally they were 1/72.  I have built a half dozen or so at 8" wing span (various scales) as gifts, usually unpainted, and I think they look better at this scale (?) but for this one I'm going to stick to 1/72.  I'd be up to see any scale prefered by the builder though.

Let the games begin!

Kenny

lastvautour

1/72 scale it is then. Can someone send me the B-25 Michell drawings.

Oceaneer99

Lou,

I have the B-25 drawings (on paper), from set E.  I'll scan them and post them in the next day or so.

Garet

lastvautour

Oceaneer99

To all who are interested in this Cook-up, we're in the process of posting the ID model plans.  The plans are being posted as line-art GIF files at 300 dpi.  You may need to use a graphics program that lets you set the dpi so you can print the plans the correct size.

Eventually, Kenny Horne will post PDF versions to his site (where there are a few already), and we'll put some sort of PDF summary here as well.  If you are having trouble printing to the correct size, contact me and I will send you a PDF version of the plan you are interested in, chopped to fit on individual sheets for the larger patterns.

Also, if you see a plane on the list of plans that I haven't posted yet, leave me a message and I will do that one out of order.  Sets B and F are now complete, but I have a lot more that I'm working on.  I've already sent out the raw B-25 scans to Lou.

Kenny has a lot of the plan sets and has been spending a lot of time scanning them in and sending the files to me for some additional processing (such as reassembling the large pattern sheets) and posting.  I have a few sets and have been working on scanning and posting those as well. 

A few people (such as Kenny!) have been having trouble seeing the large pattern sheets in their web browsers, though they can download the final file if they have the url of the file itself.  Please see the ID model discussion in the general section:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=97.0

Both Kenny and I have wanted to digitize our ID model plan collections for quite a while, and we think it will be neat to have all of them available.

Oceaneer99

I have a somewhat modified Spitfire built from ID plans that I plan to paint in accurate colors.  However, I've always wanted an excuse to make a true black ID model.  I've seen so many planes I didn't even know existed (a glider seaplane!?), so I haven't made up my mind yet as to the subject.

Garet

Kenny Horne

Ya Garet,

the seaplane troop glider is cool but at least it did exist, many of the Japanese planes were pure conjection, kinda like when a police artist draws a picture of the bad guy from someone's description. I read where they had the most difficult time finding any references for Russian aircraft.  Those Ruskies are a secretive lot  :)

I know that there were also models of armor and ships.  Does anyone know if they came out as plan sets like the aircraft?  You see them pop up on ebay quite regularly. 

Kenny

animek

A huge thanks to all you guys who publish all those plans for us, it is a lot of work I know, and like myself, I am sure a lot of folks here do appreciate your hard work.

Thanks again

Ben

Kenny Horne

Well, from my small side of the project... you're very welcome Ben!

Garet & I have been working to get this all together and we're a litle ways from completion, but you can check out my site where I've temporarily set up some PDF files.  We'll get it all together in a nice form later, but you might find what you are looking for if you scroll down @
http://www.ualberta.ca/~khorne/solid/spotter/spotter.html

of course the SSM Gallery is also where you can find more of this stuff in GIFF format.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?cat=13

This is still very much a work in progress, so no nice interface but you can get to most of the info.

I really do hope that others will try one for the cook-up.  They are fun simple models that make you feel good about yourself while leaving out all of the tricky bits  :)

Kenny

mylittlewoods

Hi guys,I know I'm not as active here but hope I'm still welcome.
This topic of ID models is the whole reason I started this hobby,thanks to Kenny's site and the Smith.It would be nice to get back to where it all started.
You guys have done wonders with the site also thank you.

Mike

lastvautour

Welcome Mike, glad to have you aboard. What subject will you be building in the WII ID cook up?

mylittlewoods

Hi Lou

First off thanks.It was an easy choice for me,the P-40 for the Flying Tigers,I've always had a lot of respect for them,doing the best they could with what little they had.It was also the first plane I did 7yrs ago,so I'd like to see the improvments I can make.LOL

Mike

Oceaneer99

Mike,

That's the first one I made, too!

I built mine from Model Airplane News ID model plans that had some major problems (such as cross sections that couldn't possibly work) so the Navy ID model plans are better.  The "belly block" may have the wrong profile on the ID plans.  I just checked the plan, and it looks about right (maybe a little too wide) so maybe it was the M.A.N. plan that was wrong.

You'll find lots of inaccuracies on the ID model plans, many of which were based on verbal description or blurry gun-camera photos, and even one or two that didn't exist.  But you always have the option to either "correct" your model or "build to the flawed but historic plan".  You'll find most of the modelers here somewhere in the middle, and refreshingly supportive of whichever way you go.

Garet