• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

RCAF 100th Anniversary build

Started by lastvautour, January 07, 2022, 06:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Number 96 is a 1/144 de Havilland Canada Dash-8. The decals I received were the wrong colours, so I printed my own. My DHC collection now numbers 5.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 97 is this 1/72 Lockheed Electra. The RCAF received 15 Model 10 and disposed of them shortly after WWII.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 101 is a 1/144 Lockheed Neptune circa 1955 - 1959. I used CanMilAir decals and they were excellent as usual. I was pleasantly surprised to find it sat on its undercarriage with the need for a tail support.

Lou

Gearup

It sure does look long. I guess the mass of the radials help out for the balance :D

Have never seen one in person before. I did work with a couple of fellows who seemed to have a few stories about their time on Neptunes back in the 50's. Great looking model Lou!

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser. There is one at the Greenwood museum.

LOu

lastvautour

Number 75o is a Agusta Westland Cormorant in 1/144 scale. The Cormorant is Canada's latest Search and Rescue helicopter replacing the CH-113 and Ch-113A. The first of 15 CH-147 arrived in 2001.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 75p is this 1/144 Sikorsky CH-148 Cyclone. The Cyclone is a twin-engine, multi-role shipboard helicopter that has been in operation since 2018.  It conducts anti-submarine warfare (ASW), surveillance, and search and rescue missions from Royal Canadian Navy warships, and also provides tactical transport for operations supporting national and international security efforts.

Lou
Note that the additional photo shows "What If?", a scenario where HMCS Bonaventure is still in operation

lastvautour

Number 98 is a 1/32 Stinson Model 105 Voyager. To get around the neutrality rules of early WWII, these were given civilian serial numbers and once in Canada, they were transferred to the RCAF. In total, the RCAF acquired 26 Model 105 for a tidy sum of $10,000 US each.

Lou

lastvautour

The 1/72 scale Fleet Fort will be assigned  number 102. The Fleet Fort performance was disappointing. 200 were ordered, however, only 101 were ever produced.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 99  is a 1/144 Fairchild Flying Boxcar. My C-119F represents one of 35 acquired by the RCAF. They were subsequently upgraded to C-119G configuration with the bubble nose radar.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 104 is a De Havilland Canada built Grumman Tracker in 1/144 scale. The Royal Canadian Navy originally ordered 100 CS2F and received 99 examples. received. Those remaining in 1968, were assimilated into a unified Canadian Forces and a few served until 1990.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 103 is a 1/72 Boeing Bomarc. The RCAF received 2 Sqn of the CIM 10B.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 105 is a 1/144 Bristol Freighter. The RCAF flew six Bristol 170s, beginning 1952 with the last one being retired in 1967. Three were lost during this time period.

Lou

lastvautour

The RCAF received ten Albatrosses for use in the Search and Rescue role. My HU-16 is 1/144 and took 10 weeks to complete. It is assigned number 106.

Lou

lastvautour

Number 107 is a 1/72 Northrop A-17 Nomad. The Royal Canadian Air Force received 32 Nomads that had been part of a French order of 93 aircraft. When France fell in 1940, Great Britain took this order and transferred 32 of the aircraft to Canada, where they were used as advanced trainers and target tugs as part of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

Lou