• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Other Endeavours

Started by Model Maker, April 09, 2016, 11:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Lou asked me to post a couple of pictures on some other items which I've been working on. I'll use this thread for the current initiative which is some model golf carts for retirement gifts and some others which I have planned over the next while.

The plans are from "Toys and Joys" and are sold either direct or from  other vendors such as Lee Valley and Stockade Wood & Craft Supply in Guelph Ontario. I purchased the wheels and steering wheel from Stockade and cut the rest from some pine material. The golf clubs are made from 1/16" brass rod (shaft) and 3/16" brass tube available from most hobby shops. The club heads are small pieces of brass sheet soldered to the 1/16" brass rod. There are many examples of these golf carts on the web which are finished in natural wood. But very few are painted.

The first picture shows my first prototype completed and painted.

The second picture shows a few more on the assembly line in various states of fabrication.

Biggles

John 15:13

Boomerang

lastvautour

Great contribution to another solid activity. Keep those progress shots coming. They are appreciated and may spark some new interest.

Lou

Model Maker

Thanks Gentlemen for the feedback and encouragement

Model Maker

Some assembly pictures as requested.

The first picture captures the rear fender assembly and seat support glued to the base (ie chassis). The holes for the wheels were drilled first using a drill press and drill press fence to ensure all 4 holes are located the same distance from the underside in order to prevent rocking caused by unequal distances.

The second picture captures the front fender and front deck assembly glued to the base (ie chassis).

The third photo shows the seat and seat fascia fitted to the seat support. They are not glued at this time to facilitate painting down the road.

lastvautour

Excellent details. Thank you for the progress shots.

Lou

Model Maker

Have all the components cut / fabricated and painted. Ready for assembly.

I used the Createx opaque paints for the white and black and Createx Auto Air for the blue. The white and black opaque were difficult to spray so I wound up brushing all the paint. They opaque colours also require heat setting with a hair drier or equivalent. The Auto Air brushed on very well. The golf bags and golf clubs were painted with Golden acrylics (artist paints). The brushed on very well. I had issues spraying the water based clear gloss varnish. Struggled with runs in the varnish and the orange peel finish. But finally found the correct pressure and dilution. With all the experimenting, the blue has a great deal of depth. It must have at least 12 coats of clear applied.

Peter

Looks very good. I especially like the blue.

Peter

lastvautour

Excellent subject. Well done Ken.

Lou

Boomerang

Impressive!

Great work Ken

Gordon

Model Maker

All assembled and ready to send off as a gift. Thanks Gentlemen for the positive feedback. Peter, I like the blue as well. I have some more coming down the finishing line (red, green, purple and blue). I'll post a composite picture with all 4 when finished.

Peter

I'm looking forward to seeing them. You've also given me the urge to give golf another try

Peter

Model Maker

Finally finished to batch I was working on. Have posted the Red and Green versions below. Thanks for all the positive comments on the postings above.

Peter: Did you pick up the clubs again?

Peter

They all look awesome but the green one is my favorite!

Peter