• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

P-51D Mustang

Started by Model Maker, March 29, 2015, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Thank you for the reply. Honestly I had not heard of this material before. As the video shows, it looks like a top-end masking material. Usually up here in Canada, these can can be hard to source (if you don't know who to ask...) Well guess what, the FBS main facility is within a few miles of my home! Go figure...the nearest retail is just down the road. Looks like I have a supply trip to plan ;) ;)
Thanks for the info and the link to the video.
Fraser

Jim

And so it goes...

Boomerang

Ditto :  WOW !

Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

Fraser;

If you will be making a trip to the store, you may also wish to look at the FBS ProMask.

My wife has an old Honda with the peeling clear coat issue. I bought a matching spray paint bomb from a local auto supply shop with the intent to over- spray the damaged area after wet sanding to remove the affected clear coat. I saw this masking product when I ordered my last couple of rolls of FBS tape as it looked like a good idea based on the video link below. It worked great on the car.

For the context of this forum this forum, I used some of it to mask the P-51D to protect areas of the model from over-spray when airbrushing the stars and bars. Having the taped edge was great. But most importantly I found the paper weight to be the best I've every used for over-spray protection. It just seemed to "flow" much better than post-its or regular paper etc. as it's a thinner (ie lighter) paper than these. I was able to use the taped edge to start an area, cut off the excess paper and use the excess on other areas of the model using pieces of roll masking tape to hold it in place. A 12" long piece covers a lot of area on a 1/32 scale model.

Something to consider if you are heading out. It's not very expensive and you may find it easier to work with than other over-spray protection materials.

-ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gUSMgBsVKw
https://www.mapleairbrushsupplies.com/collections/tape-masking/products/promask?variant=13356831683

Gearup

Thanks for the info on the masking paper. I have been using thin tissue used for stuffing gift baskets. It confirms really well except it is quite delicate and is definitely not water proof it does well for overspray masking. I'll see if I can get some of the paper you described.
Fraser

Model Maker

Second model ready to leave the spray paint booth. A little touch up here & there required. I'm continually amazed at how well the Silhouette machine cuts the stencil media. The flares on the letters turned out much better than I expected.

Decals have been printed and are drying prior to clear coat. Once the decals have been applied, will apply a couple of clear gloss coats to the entire mode to protect everything.

I read in a recent post, some folks have a problem with DIY decals. I haven't created many, but in doing my research I came across a few postings which indicated the decals should dry at least 24 hrs. after printing before spraying the sealer coat and the clear sealer should also dry at least 24 hrs. after spraying before water soaking. Not sure if this is any assistance or not. Hopefully if I follow these rules I will be a happy camper with the decal results.

lastvautour

Awesome workmanship Ken.

Lou

Boomerang

Outstanding model . Well Done ! Ken

Gordon

Model Maker

Second model rolled out today.

Thanks gentlemen for the positive feedback!! It's greatly appreciated. But I still have a way to go to arise to both your level of detail.

On to finishing the 3rd and final one.

lastvautour

Excellent P-51 Ken. Your markings are spot on.

Lou

Boomerang

Looks great Ken. Looking forward to No 3

Cheers

Gordon

Model Maker

Number 3 finally finished today.

One for me and two as gifts. Lots of enjoyment carving and painting these. Starting to get the hang of a smooth clear finish using an airbrush. Still not quite as smooth as clear from a rattle can. But I am not able to control the rattle can spray as well as the airbrush so at least I don't get runs in the clear coat.

Next model, I will try a different airbrush with a slightly larger tip which hopefully will provide a smoother finish.

lastvautour

Great Mustangs Ken. Looking forward to your next project.

Lou

buccfan

Excellent model Ken, lovely finish on the paintwork. I have a scan and cut machine, I might try cutting my decals for one of my models. Regards Paul J.

Boomerang

Absolutely Brilliant Ken .

3 terrific models. Well Done

Gordon