• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Luscombe 8A project 5

Started by Gearup, October 11, 2023, 04:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Luscombe 8A project in parallel with four other light aircraft models.

Gearup

empennage cherry wood

lastvautour

I always have several projects on my bench. I await all your progress shots.

Lou

Gearup

I will keep plodding along. I think is is easier to build a few similar models as the setup and cleanup for one of's seems to be slower. Plus I get into a better groove working the pieces in groups. Next steps will be fitting the wings and empennage on all five.

Gearup

Tail mocked up

lastvautour

Gearup

Marked out the stiffeners on the ailerons and trailing edge skins. The Luscombe had no flaps and a very simple wing with few actual ribs. 

Working on the model really showed me how small the ailerons were on such a long wing. The airplane was a delight to fly as it had dual control sticks and was very nimble in the air. 

lastvautour

Gearup

I've actually never flown in a Cub. The 8A had the same 65 hp Continental as the Cub and it may have had better performance cruise wise.

The Cub was maybe a bit more docile whereas the Luscombe had a reputation as a bit more to handle, especially on landing. More on that later when I work on the landing gear. 

Gearup

Primed. The 8A had a more squared off fin and stabilizer. I had the opportunity to reskin a Luscombe stab. Not much in there😄

Gearup

Vertical fin and stabilizer flight control stiffeners marked out, fuselage filled and all parts primed. Major parts mocked up together.

Next is to mount empennage and cut the wings to fit.

lastvautour

Gearup

Third model, the Luscombe, has the wings and empennage located and pinned. The dehiedral is quite flat on this aircraft which is another reason it was so crisp to fly. Plus it had dual control sticks which made it a lot of fun.

Gearup

All "Project 5" models now are assembled and glued with epoxy. Check out the article Assembly Fixture in the construction techniques section os the forum.

Basically the fuselage is clamped in a fixture, dihedral blocks set and the wings aligned and epoxied to the wing root. I used G2 epoxy mixed in small batches that was also described in the Construction forum.

Filling, next up.

Fraser

lastvautour

Always good to clamp the parts. White glue will pull parts when drying.

Lou