• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Latest and greatest...

Started by Biggles, March 14, 2016, 03:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggles

Have been doing more work on the 747, but I don't know how to paint the roo on the tail. Ideas?
John 15:13

Biggles

Making a Cessna 172 Sky hawk and a Space walker.

Biggles

This is a Skyhawk jet. I and my uncle made it. :)

Boomerang

Wow ! Biggles they all look great . I like the Space Walker.

The Flying Kangaroo...
You could try making a mask out of some "low " tack contact ( like the stuff they use to cover school books if its still around) . You'd have to do a left and a right. See Model Maker's Spitfire decals

Or make a template to trace around and do it freehand.

What size was the 747 again?

Cheers

Gordon

Biggles

Thank you Gordon,
the 747 wingspan is 32 cm, and as the full size one is 60 meters I think that it is a 187/1 scale. sound right to you?

I will try the contact, mum has heeeps of it. Do you know how well water based paint goes on to oil based? the 747 is the later and I will probably try water based for its quick dry time and I can clean It of if it does not work.

thanks for the Idea, Abe

Boomerang

Sounds about right.
By water based I assume you mean Acrylic.
You might be lucky or it might streak /bubble  not adhere.
Try it on a bit scrap material  painted with your red oil based and see how you go.

Cheers

Gordon

Kenny Horne

Hey All,

I've used a product called Frisket Film, available at art stores, for masking.  It is a semi-clear, semi-sticky masking film that doesn't stick so well that it lifts the base coat paint.  I've been able to place it over the original artwork, and trace then cut with a scalpel.  Works for me  :)

Kenny H

Biggles

Yes I mean acrylic, I will try on a scrap first. Good Idea.

Kenny, this Frisket film sounds good. would you be able to buy in a news agent/ sewing store?
thanks for you comments,
Abe

Kenny Horne

I've only seen it at art supply stores.  If you're interested and can't find any email me at ken dot horne at ualberta dot ca.  ;)

Model Maker

Biggles:

You've certainly been very busy. The models look great.

I'd be very careful using acrylics directly over top of oil based paint. Everything I have read indicates there are frequently issues with bonding. I had a very unpleasant experience many years ago when I airbrushed acrylics over top of alkyd (oil based) paint. The acrylics looks great, but there was no adhesion and it just peeled away. If you are going to try this combination, I've read it is very important that the oil based paint be fully cured and the acrylic should be left to fully cure which may take a few days.

If you can find it, maybe Tamiya paints may be a better choice since they are alcohol based. Or better maybe Humbrol enamel if you are able to obtain a container of the desired colour.

An alternate approach I have used is to spray a separator coat of water based varnish over top of the base oil paint. The water based varnish doesn't yellow and my understanding is it will adhere to oil based paint, provided the oil based paint is fully cured. The water based varnish provides a a water based layer for the acrylic to adhere to. It also provides a sacrificial layer in case you need to perform any minor sanding. That way your base coat will not be damaged. If you spray the water based varnish, it should be high gloss. You can also scuff the area you are intending to add the Roo using a fine wet sanding paper. The scuffing will provide some tooth for the acrylic to adhere to. The final coat of clear finish will cover any of the wet paper scuffs outside of the Roo.

I agree with Kenny - Frisket is the way to go. It's a little expensive, but a roll lasts a long time. I've only been able to find it at art stores as well. Some art stores sell it in rolls but I did find one which sold single sheets for about $1.90 canadian per sheet.

Best of luck in whichever option you decide on. - ken

Biggles

Thanks guys, I think I will try contact first on a scrap bit to test for stickiness, and use oil based paint.
I looked at the Frisket, It looks good but I think it is a bit pricey for me, I am saving for a RC plane.
Abe

lastvautour

You have been busy and very productive. please provide details on your Skyhawk. Materiel used, paints and when was it finished.

Lou

Biggles

Lou, I made the skyhawk and then sent it to my uncle. He painted it then. He is in Africa so I do not know what he used, but I do know that the decals are from a F4 phantom.
Sorry, Abe

Biggles

What do you reckon?

lastvautour