• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Viewing Distance

Started by Ken Pugh, December 11, 2011, 12:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Pugh

At Cliff's request here is a topic on viewing distance.  I guess I'll go first because I have some very strong opinions on this topic.

I definitely believe if it is not feasibly viewable or can be made scale, it should be left off.  As I see more and more pictures of aircraft in such high resolution, their smoothness is borne out.  Of course, this only makes since with drag and all to be considered, especially in jets.  My biggest criticism in with the plastic model crowd.  I understand the desire for detail.  I use to be a plastic modeler.  But one just has to look at pictures of the actual craft, not just pictures of other peoples models.  There were some actual aircraft with heavy weathering, stained panel edges, and very large surface details, but these were relatively rare.  When you look at a closeup, high resolution picture of a P-51, you see that baby was smooth, no protrusions along its surface (must be why it was so fast, huh).

Jets especially must be glass smooth.  Again, newer high resolution photos really bring this out whereas older pics were fuzzy enough that there was some doubt.  Now, some panels should have poor fits and rough detail, but those were usually access panels.

I even take this to markings as well.  Many stencils should disappear at some scales but they are often shown with decals.  I think they detract from the subject and are out of scale, but to each his own, I guess.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

When looking at models I prefer to be around 30 to 36 inches away to give the ability to take in the entire model. That distance allows for an overall impression of realism from models and still enables me to appreciate the effort gone into the project.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

I've stated already on the LDF cook-up thread that I like 18" as a minimum sighting distance but my models are usually 1:72 scale and on the small side of things.  I'd like to build a large scale WWI solid model one day incorporating a lot more detail.  Something to work towards.   I think one of the nice things about solid models is that you can incorporate as much detail as you like or feel comfortable with.   Getting the detail to scale is not always easy and I agree that if you can't make the detail to scale, it is better to leave it off.

Mark