• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Models and Old Age

Started by cliff strachan, January 14, 2014, 12:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

Not something that occurs very often, unless you're old, but it has definitely occurred to me upon hearing of some people that have elected to sell, give away to just about anyone, or otherwise dispose of their lifetime of model building efforts to ask the question: Has SMM or any other group considered what it may do to assist in keeping a permanent collection of members' models?

This is perhaps a real problem with model building. Frequently one encounters the response:"Oh, none of my kids are interested in my models so I just gave them to the neighbour." I personally think that something a bit more meaningful could be somehow accomplished. It is my time to think along these lines. Has anyone else got some good ideas?

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Dear Cliff I think that you have got to the stage like myself whereby a long term decision and plan needs to be put into place,at the moment I am selling off quite a few of my own collection and thinning out stuff,its not something that you can do overnight but in easy stages,at the moment my idea and thinking is that plastic models dry out and get so brittle that they fall apart after many years,they are not easy to store either so I put them onto EBay in stages and get good money for them that goes towards new equipment and tools for my solid modelling,also a few solids have realised good prices as well going into private collections and museums which is very satisfying to know,now as for your idea to work it would need a repository,ie someone or somewhere to place examples of our models for the future so that they could be enjoyed by future generations,its a great idea but how could it be made practical and put into place ?

The idea of a place where our models would be a living and lasting testemant to our combined skills in the knowledge that they are safe for the future is an highly attractive one,just where or how that place could be created is a difficult one to get our heads around,if anyone has any practical ideas then I am sure we will all want to know about them and share what thoughts anyone has.
As you point out Cliff non of us are getting any younger but we do need to consider these things,family members whilst the first  choice are far from the ideal place,nine times out of ten they are not really interested in our creations and many items would probably get damaged in the long term and get binned which is such a great pity.

So who will handle the future custodianship of our works of art ? I really do not know the answers to this so over to someone who has any ideas that we can mull over ?

Barry.

Mark Braunlich

You may want to consider contacting existing museums that already have large model collections and present them fairly well.  Two American collections that come to mind are:

http://mapsairmuseum.org/

http://www.aeromuseum.org/

cliff strachan

Many thanks are extended to both Barry and Mark. While Barry has put forth many enlightened thoughts Mark has given us a place to start. Obviously the matter has been on the minds of a great many modelers. Personally, in my own case, such thoughts have progressed most recently from aging - mostly in the last two  years ; the kind of models that I'm primarily interested in; having just recently observed at the bookstand so many magazines devoted to aircraft model making; the numerous very fine reproductions that have been scratch-built by members of our group, and; the amount of time that one must dedicate to such a hobby as ours.

Only a couple of avenues are left to explore. It seems that a thorough search must be conducted as to what museums or other public institutions are interested in our models; what our donation may comprise; who will volunteer to make the necessary enquiries, and; many other steps still to be expressed. But mindful of a saying from  another institution I belong to: "If not us, Who?"

Hope that the question may stand within our group for as long as it may take.

Cliff

Pete1616

Mark, Barry, and Cliff.....in reading the topic "models and old age" I decided to explore the museums listed by Mark....MAPS in Ohio.

To my surprise, the chairman contacted me and was interested in my "experimental aircraft" and the "early jet" collection.

And he wants them as soon as possible! I don't mind packing them up and delivering them, but, with the winter we've been having, I really don't want to drive to Ohio until spring.

Apparently he's setting up an educational display for young people regarding the history of aviation.

As well, the Canadian Warplane Heritage in Hamilton would like more of my Canadian and British models. I may have some space for more if my hands don't let me down.

It is a relief to see my collection end up where it can be seen and appreciated by many, rather than sitting in my family room gathering dust.
Pete1616

lastvautour

Congratulations Pete, your models are well placed in museums.

Lou

Pete1616

Well, another bubble burst! The chairman spoke with the curator, he said he has 5000 models in storage and doesn't want any more.

I think the word "model" shouldn't be used in referring to what we do.Too many people associate that term with plastic models made from kits. I suppose that widows of men who pass away leaving large collections of kit models look for a place that will accept them.

I had the same response when I contacted the RCAF museum in Trenton.....Perhaps "aircraft carving" would be appropriate in the future.

Oh well, the Canadian Warplane heritage in Hamilton would like more of my aircraft carvings. They have a display (that I haven't seen yet) of my stuff in the hangar, and will display a small sign saying that these were carved by me, who is a member of " solid model memories". It will also list my E-mail address as a contact should anyone be interested in our art.
Pete1616

Ken Pugh

This is precisely what the ship modeling community is experiencing.  They build beautiful admiralty board style models and museums won't take them because they have tons of them in storage.  Museums have been getting away from excellent models and memorabilia and moving towards interactive displays because they think the children will learn more from them.

Peter

I don't know if this is realistic or not but have you thought of donating your models to the Royal Canadian Air Cadets or Army and Navy cadets. They could give them to members as awards or sell them to raise money at air shows etc. There are also organizations raising funds for disabled veterans.
Maybe they cold have an auction of your planes to raise funds. Also this could lead to cadets and possibly veterans taking up the craft.

Peter ( the less talented one)

Pete1616

Thanks, Peter (The equally talented one) The trouble with that is the Canadian Warplane heritage wants all the "common" aircraft, this leaves the oddball carvings that nobody would recognise.

When only one or three were made (I sometimes wonder why I carved them) they aren't of interest to very many people.

I'll keep trying, there must be a museum that would like to set up an educational display of what jets were like in the 40's and 50's

Pete1616

cliff strachan

This is the second time I've started to reply -  and I have to remind myself that if it wasn't for computers then I wouldn't have met so many fine gentlemen
in SMM. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly my point if there indeed was one. But I believe it was to draw attention to the fact that Barry, in a much earlier
note, confirmed that our alternative competitor, Plastic Models, were subject to breakage if granted the opportunity to be acquired by say, a museum. This is a
form of Supply Management - the conscious curtailment of the number available from production in the interest of keeping prices higher than they might otherwise be. From here we were led into a brief discussion of Marketability. We were intended to be aware of the relationship between Wants and Value eg. art
objects are generally more coveted the more they may be associated with a monetary value.

Lets get to the point.
What I see as required for Solid Scale to be in the eyes of prospective museum or whatever -is a degree of Uniqueness. This will ultimately depend on principles of Marketability. The strengths and weaknesses of Solid Scale as opposed to any alternative.
As Solid Models have presently a capability of rendering any aircraft as a model - such older aircraft may provide the necessity of Uniqueness. No mass
produced model posses such uniqueness. It will not make economic sense.

But Solid Models have a decided weakness in that they take too long to construct. However, this can easily be ameliorated by  having a project built by members of the whole group.
The choice of the aircraft is to be left up to the group. But there are many: a country's Principle Aircraft - Historically.
                                                                                                             Long Aviation Flights - from Amy Johnson's to Wrong way Corrigan
                                                                                                              The list is extensive.
Finally, what is definitely required is a form of Demand Modification- this would be in the form of - initially, a very cheap magazine which SMM has a lead from the amount of articles that have appeared on this medium. Etc. After all: "How many P51's and Spitfires are people really interested in.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Since my original posting on this subject there has been quite a lot of movement on my collection worldwide,having decided that my models are best placed into careful collectors hands I set the ball in motion and was quite surprised by the results,some 850 models have been placed into private collections or well known museums and certainly well received,whatever we say about EBay the scope for reaching the masses is out there and I have been happy with the results.

This does not mean that I am not building any more models far from it the money is proving useful to replace old equipment and to buy new materials as my hobby has always been supporting,I have always sold models just not on this scale of clearance which ensures a positive move for placement of models.

So far my models have been placed into the following collections-Malta Air Museum,Royal Scottish museum,Jersey Aero club,Jet Age museum,Alan Dixon collection,Rare birds Netherlands collection,J Hewitt Florida private collection of flight,Airport house collection Malta,Susan Bradshaw private collection,Helicopter museum of Great Britain,Avro printing company,Third Brothers Glasgow,Berkshire school history of flight collection,Embraer collection Brasil,J.Leese collection Holland,Aviation Non destructive testing private collection,Seaplanes International,Lord Balfour estate.

We just have to accept that our labours of love with these miniatures will vanish altogether if something is not done in our later years to preserve them so others can enjoy the toils of hours of work put into them,personally I am happy to have reached places to put my models that would not have been possible without the tools of the internet,in my mind it has been a great success to do so and I will continue to thin out models that have given me much joy to build and display,this will after all make room for more creations !

Balsabasher aka Barry.

cliff strachan

It is more than apparent that you have accessed a fine number of museums and private collectors, Barry. Perhaps the next step will be for you to pass the
addresses to our members so that, after appropriate discussion, they may decide what is the best way to proceed. Thank you very much.

Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff it just happened,after placing models for sale they just come forward,there are others but I have forgotton the names,there were also a few dealers who buy to resell but I have now realised that I do not need to go that route because they seem to sell themselves,solid models are unique and strong and thats what people like about them they will certainly outlast plastic models thats for sure,very pleased with the results.
Currently grooming my flying models ready for the spring although I fly all year around,needs to get a bit warmer to get into the workshop as well.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Good to hear from you Barry.  Well done with passing on works of your labours for future generations to admire.  Best wishes from the frozen American prairie.