• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Thoughts On Building Vintage Models

Started by High Plains, November 15, 2013, 02:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Plains

One of the things that I've observed poking around on the forums that a number of folks here build and/or restore vintage models, which is pretty cool, since kits are meant to be built.

I don't know much about the vintage toy market, but the one thing I do know (from watching American Pickers and the Lionel guys at train shows) is that when it comes to toys, condition is everything. The $$$ value of a toy depends on condition and whether it comes with the original box. Would building a vintage kit destroy its value? Does it matter?

Jeremy

Peter

Hi Jeremy,

You pose an interesting question. I guess it would depend on if someone was more of a Kit collector or a model builder. Personally, I can't imagine buying a model and not building it. Except for the pile of unbuilt models in the closet that's wife keeps reminding me about. I think building a vintage kit would destroy its value.

Peter

Balsabasher

High Plains,Peter all,over the years I have purchased various solid kits that hide away,the time has come to build at least some of them otherwise they will only get into the wrong hands and probably go down the tip when I pass on,kits are to build and build well to do them justice,I know its an individual choice but I would sooner see a vintage kit well built than sitting in a tatty box that gets worse over time.
Barry.

Will

Building a kit will almost always eliminate it's monetary value as collectors generally want as original.  There are odd exceptions, such as Skybirds where built models are collected in their own right.

However "value" does not necessarily mean money.

Building a kit releases it's intrinsic value - it was made to be built and until it is built it has yet to realise it's purpose.

High Plains

Quote from: Will on November 15, 2013, 03:44:46 PMBuilding a kit releases it's intrinsic value - it was made to be built and until it is built it has yet to realise it's purpose.
There is a kind of "Velveteen Rabbit" aspect to it, isn't there? Toys are meant to be played with. Kits are meant to be built. There is something sad and ironic that the vintage toys with the highest monetary value are the ones that nobody played with and weren't loved by children.

cliff strachan

Hi Will, A very interesting topic. I believe that anything may have "value" - either "value in use" or value "in exchange." In the present sense, I believe that exchange value corresponds to the value some people place on box art - or just possessing an unbuilt model in perfect store presented condition. In contrast, value in use corresponds to, the value another person places on the completed contents of the box - in this case the model contained. However, in both cases there is a monetary value placed on whichever situation predominates at the time - whether the price that a buyer is willing to pay for "box art" or the price another prospective purchaser is willing to pay for the completed model. Whichever article has the higher price at the time determines its ultimate "value."

Cliff.