• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

I'd like to introduce myself

Started by Crop Duster, October 02, 2012, 09:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crop Duster

G'day All,
I trust my post is ok here, I couldn't find a thread indicating where new members should introduce themselves so I've taken the liberty of doing so here.

My name is Kev – user name 'Crop Duster' – 61 yrs young (but on some days I think I'm a hell of a lot older). I partner my wife in a accounting/bookkeeping business which we run from our home office, with my main roll being general dogs body caring for things around our 30 acre bush covered property here in Central Qld Aust.

I have only had one major hobby that of leather carving, which I took up back in the mid 1970's. A few years ago I gave it all way, there is only so many belts, bags, wallets and gun holsters one can do.

It may surprise you, but I'm what's locally known as a 'White Knuckle Flyer'.
Love the idea but any time I'm required to board an aircraft I'm legally loaded up with sedatives and don't regain a clear head again until the trip is well and truly over.
My longest trip ever was three and a half hours long, and I remember nothing of it.

Don't get me wrong I love aircraft, I watched that movie back as a teenager 'The Battle of Britain'. Much of that movie was air combat and I would love to be able to fly like that. I'll sit for hours at an airport and watch the comings and going's. I'll sit for hours and watch Agwagons darting around the sky as they crop dust and spray our countryside. But put me in an aircraft un-sedated, FORGET IT!...........

I came across a website some time ago for model aircraft, after joining up I down loaded a construction file for a P40 Warhawk 'foamie'. I could see it being built in plywood, painted up and used as a whirligig in the garden. Thus far I've cut out a cardboard template and on my next trip into the city I'll get some plywood. I've got no plans to build a flying model and watch all the hard work crash into the ground.

I enquired about these carving plans I'd seen around the internet and decided I'd like to give it ago. A gentleman directed me to solid model memories and while waiting to see if I could join I've been viewing as many threads here as possible.

You'll find me as green as grass when to comes to aircraft talk. I understand fuselage, tail, wings, stabilizer and undercarriage, so I'll say right now 'Please Excuse My Ignorance' should I ask of you a question that is common place among you all.

I trust it was ok to introduce myself here and hopefully if I just learn a fraction of what many of you know, I'll be just that little bit wiser.

Kev
'Crop Duster'

Ken Pugh

Welcome aboard, Kev.

You'll find that most of the detailed build threads are for some of the easier topics.  Post questions all you like and someone will try to provide an answer.

Start small so you can get through it quickly and evaluate what you have done.  That's the best way to pick this up.  We all have our favorite methods but that is not the only way to do things.  Building several smaller topics will help you find the way that suits you best.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Welcome Kev. I am glad to see your interest. As an older type at 63, my passion has always been airplanes and carving for my pleasure. Feel free to browse and ask as many questions as you like. We can set up to give you one on one tutorial at whatever pace you wish. If you look in the "Coop Ups and Group Build" area you will find several such tutorials. Help is hear for the asking.

Lou

buccfan

Welcome Kev, as a relative newcomer myself, I can vouch for the very friendly atmosphere on this site, and help is just a post away, from some very skillful and knowledgeable members. Regards Paul J.

Peter

Bo Kev,

Welcome aboard! I have only built a couple of solids myself but its a lot of fun. I think you find SMM a fun, patient, encouraging group of people. The easiest way to get started is grab a chunk of wood, choose a plan and ask lots of questions. The let the wood chips fly!!

Peter

Crop Duster

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'll be calling upon you all at different times no doubt. Currently I'm getting together a bit of equipment for carving. Have been notified this morning that my new Dremel and attachments have arrived and are ready for collection, so I'm off to the city shortly to collect my new toys. Again thanks for the warm welcome I think I'm gunna like it here.

Cheers Kev,

Pete1616

G'day Kev

I'm sort of slow in answering posts, don't spend enough time computing!

In reading you into note, I think I have a couple of ideas for you. I took some photos of
my "whirligigs"....One of 4 bi-planes and one of 4 sailing ships....both turn in the wind and are mounted using the front axle from a bicycle hub. If you're  interested, please send me your E-mail address (I don't know how to attach to this one)

Living in central Oz, I guess you have plenty of wind to make them turn....as well, if you would like any tips etc, please feel free to E-mail me....pdmorro@cogeco.ca

Cheers, Pete 1616
Pete1616

Biggles

Hey Kev! glad to see you! I think you have made a good choose in SMM, I joined in 2012 knowing nothing but all the people here are really friendly!
Biggles
John 15:13

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Kev,
Welcome to the forum.
Always nice to see new folks arriving.

I have made quite some foamies with plywood and hope to do some again in due time.
To be honest I have never heard of a whirligig, but you have made me curious.

I might have found inspiration for a new project.

Hope to see some of your work in the future.

Jorrit

cliff strachan

Hi Kev. It's been a while since I first saw your very interesting introduction - but from another "old guy" perhaps I can give you some encouragement. "Age can not whither nor wealth deny . . ." Shakespeare. (It's all I can remember.) What with age and experience - you've done a lot of carving already and seeing that "you're a white knuckle flyer" means, to me, that you're either a professional flyer or actually know what you are doing - which is more than I can say in most instances these days. You know: If it isn't on TV (a computer) than it's wrong. Which, apart from the current usage, is more what this Group is about.

I personally hope to hear from you again shortly.

Cliff.