• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Pinewood Derby Car Cook-Up

Started by lastvautour, April 23, 2011, 03:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

I have ordered the wheels and will start construction following Cory's (flickr) method. I will also post Cory's photos and directions as soon as I can set up pasting the text and photos as an image.

Lou
P.S. We will have to figure out how to race against each other?????

Balsabasher

Well years ago before the internet Lou they used to run postal flight time competitions for small rubber driven models,all done on trust and what fun it was as well.
Barry.

lastvautour

We would have to build a track for our race. That may be the way to go. Is gravity stronger on the west coast??????????

Lou

lastvautour

I have completed my cut and paste. Firstly will be Garet's contribution to date.

Lou
P.S. Any enclosed text is from the original submitter.

lastvautour

Here are Cary's photos and comments. A search of flickr revealed many other tutorial on pinewood derby cars.

lastvautour

lastvautour

lastvautour

The above tutorial was printed by kind permission of Cary Whitt.

Lou

lastvautour

Can anyone tell me what is the diameter of a pinewood derby car wheel? I am at the early design stage, but cannot proceed until I find out. I don't know how long it will take for my order to show up. Around here it could easily be six months.

Lou

dave_t

lastvautour

Thanks for the link Dave. I never knew there was a separate business just for wheels. I live in a vacuum out here. I do see the odd derby being run but I never paid much attention. The stated wheel diameter of 1.187" works out to 3cm. Not being in the know, I have no idea which wheel would go faster, the 1.187 or the 1.192.

Lou

dave_t

Lou, you did nice work putting this thread together.

lastvautour

I have yet to receive my wheels and will check with the local toy stores as to the status of my order.

Lou

lastvautour

I tried two local stores and an American sire called Monkey something and was not successful ate getting any wheels. Can anyone recommend a mail order place to get Pinewood Derby cars or parts?

Lou

Oceaneer99

Lou,

I've bought the kits and wheel sets at a local Boy Scout shop, which is run by the Boy Scouts of America.  The Boy Scouts of America has an on-line store at: http://www.scoutstuff.org/  I have not ordered from them, but have friends who have. They do say that they ship internationally.  I checked the Canadian equivalent www.scoutshop.ca, but the Canadian Scouts seem to have a Joey Jeep (okay, that was the Aussies), Beaver Buggy race instead.

Garet