• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Long Distance Flights Cook-Up

Started by cliff strachan, March 30, 2011, 07:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Quote from: Balsabasher on November 13, 2011, 08:35:38 PM
Mark I was going to mention this restored engine,you will be amazed to know that the original carburettor was missing so what does he do ? well cast his own and make the parts to fit it ! after months of adjustments the engine is now running smoothly,apprently it sounds magnificent.
Barry.

Mark and Barry,

If you Google "Napier Lion" you will come up with a marvellous youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr1hUWDy3YA
video of the restored engine running on a trolley at Brooklands.  It sounds a lot smoother than a "Merlin" - admittedly less horses involved.  The film starts with the cameraman jumping with fright at the sound of the start-up and ends with what looks like a museum attendant telling the engineer to turn it down!!!

Will

Balsabasher

A whole new dimension has been created with these running historic aero engines,now we can really re-live the sounds of times past and the work of these great engine designers comes alive again.
When he first discovered the motor it was literally a rusting hulk that had to be dismantled piece by piece,cleaned up and re-installed.
I wonder how many more famous engines there are in barns and back yards that could be reatored by enthusiasts,more power to their skills.
And thank you Will for finding this gem for us all to share.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Thanks for the link Will.  An amazing engine and the work to restore something like that must be tremendous.  You will note there are three updraft carbueretors on the front of the engine, one for each cylinder bank.  Other versions of the Lion have the carbueretors lined up across the rear of the engine.

My little Lion now has cylinder heads and intake manifolds.  I will have a go at "carving" the valve covers from aluminum. Then cam shaft drives at the rear of each head and exhaust stacks, the latter perhaps from heavy flat wire staples.

Mothman

I have pictures of the Napier Lion in the record boat Miss Britain III which I took at Pitsea Museum before they allowed it to be put back in the Nelson Stick and String Emporium, otherwise known as the National Maritime Museum, where it now sits in a distant corner and you're not allowed photography.
I got all my info from Pitsea by being given the keys and told to lock up when I finished.
I could dig 'em out if anyone needs info on the Lion. I incorporated a complete model of it in the boat in 1/12th scale.

Martin

Mark Braunlich

The Napier Lion V is finished except for some water lines that go on at final assembly.  It won't be attached to the airframe until after painting.   Valve covers are filed from solid aluminum.  Exhaust stacks are filed from a common wire paper clip.  I agree with Barry that there is a lot of satisfaction in making your own engine.   This is the first one I've done in 1/72 and I'm fairly satisfied with it.   There are 38 parts in the engine.

Mark

Balsabasher

Now that looks really good Mark,and just see how it brings these vintage subjects alive,well worth the extra effort and trouble in creating these old motors,all you need is a bit of patience a few bits of scrap and with a study of the photographs you achive something like this,I really do like the results of your labours.
Barry.

lastvautour

Looking great Mark. Very nice work on that engine.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

Yeah it's been fun.  The photos make the engine look pretty rough but in reality it's tiny and all the flaws that show in the photo aren't that noticeable even when I have my reading glasses on which I now use for all of my modeling.   I can polish out the scratches in those aluminum heads but it doesn't take much handling to get them all scratched up again.

Another photo of S1103, the subject of this model,  has been found.  That makes a grand total of three!  I have photos of other birds from the same serials batch though which are a great help.

Balsabasher

Mark no need to apologise for close up macro photography that shows up every speck out of all proportion,we can see the care and research that has gone into this,it is certainly a subject that many would not even think of doing.
Barry.

cliff strachan

Holy Crow Mark that is some engine! And in that scale it is indeed an accomplishment. Well worth it as a contribution to the hobby of solid scale. Sometime it would be nice if the group pursued a discussion concerning the place "viewing distance" has in solid scale model building. Each scale has its unique set of problems. Nice work.
Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

Thanks Cliff, that means a lot coming from yourself.  It was your 1:72 Lynx engine in the Vedette that decided I should have a crack at crafting my little effort.  I'm not sure mine came out as nice as yours but it was fun doing the research and finding a drawing to work with.  My biggest problem with something like this is my eyesight....not nearly what it was when I started this model many years ago.  It was also your lead that I followed in making my engine on a stick.  That was a great help.  

I'd be happy if nobody looked at my model closer than about 18"

Mark

lastvautour

Cliff and Mark, when you find time, please post some comments (even if duplicates) to the Scale Aircraft Engine board at
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=365.0

The Post was previously tittled Radial Engines, but I find that rather restrictive after seeing your work.

Lou

cliff strachan

Hi Mark. Among a great number of topics you've touched on you seem to allude to "viewing distance" as it may affect various models. I suppose because I see a great number of faults in my efforts to date I believe that the group may have some important insights to this matter and hopefully we will hear more in the future. If not this site where else? Thanks for your contribution. Also with respect to engines you must remember that I had access to the very engine that was recovered from its watery grave and was able to make measurements from the remains. This made it a lot easier. But still a modeler, especially of older aircraft where the engine presents such a prominent part of the aircraft, must decide on how much rationalization or the suppression of detail he should allow especially given  how long it takes to build solid scale relative to a finite lifespan.  Another subject for the group.
As to eyes I've just got one eye surgery for cataracts done. I'm afraid to see what my models actually look like!

Cliff

Mark Braunlich

While doing some research on another subject, I found this photo in the January 31, 1927 issue of Aviation magazine.  The gentleman on the right is holding a solid Fairey IIID of approximately the same scale as the one I'm building!  Looks pretty good except for excessive dihedral.  Lester D. Gardner was the president of the publishing company that published Aviation at that time.
Happy New Year everyone!

Mark

lastvautour

I must agree, it is amazing what you will find while doing research. I believe that HAWK has some statement to the effect that modelling research lead to personal growth.

Lou