• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Long Distance Flights Cook-Up

Started by cliff strachan, March 30, 2011, 07:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Quote from: dave_t on June 21, 2011, 01:04:46 AM
I have heard of the Doylend book before, but have never seen a copy. Was he a solid modelmaker?
Dave
Dave, I recommend you to get hold of a copy its an excellent book.  There are usually a few copies on UK Amazon (unbelievably 15! as of this moment http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=doylend) and very reasonable in price (I'd avoid ex-public-library copies), often only a fiver or thus a quid more than a model magazine and way better value.  It covers every single aspect of solid modelling, though a bit "fundamentalist" in that he does frown on balsa and some techniques such as painted canopies or using commercial decals!!!  There are photos of plenty of his models, nearly all British but all very good and some now obscure / forgotten types.  You would read it several times through, I know I have.
Will

Balsabasher

Yes W.O.Doyland was a well known solid modeller,he wrote a series of articles on building solids in the 'Aeromodeller' magazine which later culminated into the book 'Aircraft in Miniature' he worked from a tiny shed in his back garden and recorded in detail every step he made with his models including the time spent on each from the mighty Bristol Brabazon and Blackburn Beverly to the tiny DH.71 Tiger Moth monoplane,his models were auctioned off after his passing going all over the world.
His techniques have been used by model builders ever since and he would have been proud to have been here with us on SMM.
The collection appeared on British televisions 'Blue Peter' childrens programme.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Dave,
The rib tapes are strips of note paper applied with clear nitrate dope.  Additional coats of dope over the ribs and then rubbed down with 400 grit sandpaper to reduce the thickness of the paper.  More dope to lay down the fuzzies.  Applying the paper strips is not all that difficult; just enough tension on the paper to keep the strip straight but not too much so as to break the strip.  It's right out of Doylend.  Picture of my well thumbed copy attached.

The wing shown here is the upper wing for the Fairey, still needs dihedral and ribbing.

Mark

dave_t

It will be interesting to see how you handle the rigging.

Mark Braunlich

One of the "old school" methods in Doylend's book about which I had my doubts was this process for steaming and bending in dihedral.  Well, having now used it on two models, both biplanes, I can say it works splendidly.  Here are photos of the wing in flat state but with the center section scribed top and bottom, next, before the kettle and then checking the dihedral angle with the scale drawing.  See page 42 of Doylend's book and follow the instructions therin exactly.  Doylend mentions steam bending dihedral in wings up to 3/4" thick. 

Mark

lastvautour

A novel approach. Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Balsabasher

Very effective treatment Mark,sometimes we forget how steam can shape wood as with this exercise.
Barry

Peter

Well Mark you convinced me. I ordered Doylend's book from Amazon (used) after you posted the photo of the cover. I just found out it has arrived at my parcel drop in Washington State. So tomorrow or Wednesday I'll head down to pick it up. I'm looking forward to reading it only cost $8.00 :o

Peter

Oceaneer99

I bought a copy as well, and am very impressed.  It is certainly the most technical one I've seen, and I see a lot of techniques discussed in the book that I've seen in the work of members here.

Garet

cliff strachan

Oh just for the record I also bought a copy. But not yet arrived. Sounds good by the comments made so far.
Cliff.

Peter

I just picked up my copy of Aircraft in Miniature today. Its a 1957 first edition a little banged up but very readable. It looks like its full of useful stuff not to mention a piece of solid model history!

Peter

Balsabasher

It is good to see these remaining copies of this classic book being snapped up by real solid modellers here,it is a good little book so full of knowledge from a lifetime of solid modelling by the author.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Well Summer is truely here in Illinois with high temperatures reaching the 90°Fs most days.  The basement where I do my modeling is a bit cooler but I still can only work under the bright lamp for 20 minutes or so at a stretch.  I've been doping the paper ribs onto the upper wing as shown.  Very tedious and I will be glad when that task is complete.   I'm amazed that when I come back to the wing after applying 2 or 3 ribs that some have shifted and are no longer straight.  Means soaking them off with thinner or at least loosening them so they can be straightened.

Mark

Balsabasher

Mark the dope is constantly working and pulling as it dries,have you thought of using Pritt stik dry adhesive ? it works well on this type of application,just a suggestion.
Barry.

lastvautour

Mark, another method is to suspend the wing and clip a clothpin to each end of the strips to provide a bit of tension while they dry. I used the method while using thread as ribs indicators.

Lou