• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Long Distance Flights Cook-Up

Started by cliff strachan, March 30, 2011, 07:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Barry,
Sounds like a Comper Swift.  Let me know if you still need Swift drawings....I have several.

Cheers,
Mark

Balsabasher

Spot on Mark ! yes please could do with drawings,most welcome as my folder is missing and I have been looking for it all day.
The famous 'Scarlet Angel' G-ACTF and VT-ADO,aircraft now in the Shuttleworth collection,hard to believe that I was offered this very aircraft back in 1962 for £200,my improvers wages of 2/- thats two old shillings would not strech that far.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Barry,
This Pobjoy engine plan from the Popular Science plans thread in General Discussion area.  Just the thing for your Swift  ;).

Mark

Balsabasher

How did you know that I was looking for the Pobjoy plan Mark ! excellent and now I can make a start,thank you.
Barry.

dave_t

There were quite a few planes that used those small Pobjoys in the 1930s. Can anyone explain why they had that extra gearbox for the prop?

Balsabasher

Dave the Pobjoy series were quite unique little engines,to work on one is like handling a complicated sewing machine with lots of tiny parts to them and required skilled hands to work on them,as the engines were required to drive efficent small propellers they needed to be geared as the engines were fast revving and required matching to suitable propellers to get the best from them,no small engine has quite matched its performance for its size.
The Pobjoy Niagara was a British seven-cylinder, air-cooled, radial, aero-engine first produced in 1934, with an unusual offset-from-centre propshaft due to its engine reduction gearing,note aslso the cooling fins on the gearbox.
The whole range of Pobjoy motors were seven-cylinder radials with compact dimensions and they all had a very high rpm. The entire Pobjoy range was well regarded due to its small diameter, smooth operation, low noise and innovative engineering,they were also trouble free and very reliable in all temperatures of operation.
It is hard to believe now that when I worked in aviation in the sixties we threw away at least three of these engines,I did salvage the rocker covers which I later gave to a Pobjoy owner,such was the disregard then for preserving our aviation history.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Here is where I am for the start the LDF Cook-up.   This is my 1:72 scale Fairey IIID from the 1926 RAF's showing of the colours flights between Cairo and the Cape. The model was started many years ago and stalled because there is just so much detail to go on this thing.  This cook-up will hopefully see it finished.   The Skybirds airman has a long wait; he should probably go get a sandwich and some coffee. 

The rib tapes are bond paper applied with nitrate dope.

Mark

Balsabasher

Do a little bit each day Mark,it is surprisaing how continuity brings results,you have the basis for a wonderful model there,yes there is a lot of work on biplanes but they really are worth the extra effort.
Barry.

Balsabasher

Started on the Comper Swift project for the Long Distance Flight cook up.
Yes a Comper Swift done as VT-ADO/G-ACTF 'Scarlet Angel' as flown from Old Warden/Hooton Park to a tea plantation in India in 1936 by a certain Mr Ali,the adventure became a book called 'The Scarlet Angel' which has eluded me for over sixty years.
Having worked on this particular Comper Swift at Baginton it holds nostalgic memories for me,when I first started in aviation the Swift was stripped down and placed in a corner of the hangar where we used to have tea,the prop and various other parts were used to hang our coats and other items of clothing ! the scars of heavy landings and a hard life were there to see but I fell in love with this tiny aeroplane and have modelled it many times since,so my latest model needed a miniature Pobjoy to place up front,this item makes or breaks such a subject as the Comper Swift,here you see my rendering made from scrap bits and pieces today,note the intricate cooling fins and exhaust ring plus collector,and the tiny valve gear and pushrods and that distinctive propeller,bear in mind when you view this picture that what you are seeing is a mere two inches diameter,all I have to do now is build the rest of the Comper Swift around this engine.
Materials used were split bamboo,toothpicks,barbecue sticks,Meccano cord for binding the cylinders,lite ply for the cooling fins,basswood for the propeller and a tiny turned spinner,the exhaust collector ring is heavy duty electric wire and the collectors are thick grade solder,once painted a silvery black colour the engine will start to come alive.
Barry.

lastvautour

Excellent engine Barry. Please make reference to it in the radial engine post.

Lou

Balsabasher

The model is coming along and the wing was constructed today complete with ribbing tapes and riblets to the leading edge of the wing,the tiny wheel spats fitted to G-ACTF on occasions have been modelled as well with the distinctive centre strut made from a vintage aluminium knitting needle,the lift struts need to be made up as well as other small items to capture the distinctive lines of this famous aeroplane.

the diminutive Comper Swift, finished as 'Scarlet Angel' G-ACTF/VT-ADO for Alis famous trip to Asam in India where he owned a tea plantation,landing on polo grounds and roads he even managed to fit in a bit of air racing on the way.
What these little Swifts achieved in terms of records and air racing success is made even more remarkable by the fact that only a few aircraft were actually built considering their huge success as a small private owner aeroplane.
The geared Pobjor R powerplant was akin to a complex sewing machine.

D.R. Pobjoy established Pobjoy Airmotors after working with Roy Fedden at the Cosmos Engineering Company. The company started in Surrey, but later moved to Hooten and Kent. Its first engine, the Pobjoy "P" was approved in1928. Perhaps the best known was the Pobjoy Type "R", which powered the Cierva/Comper C-25 Autogiro, Comper C.L.A. Swift, Currie Super Wot, General Aircraft Monospar ST-4 and -6, Kay 33/1 Gyroplane, Miles M.1 Satyr, and Short S.16 Scion. Later Pobjoy engines included the Niagara and Cataract.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

The Swift looks grand Barry.  Pic attached is the Comper Swift logo decal as reproduced by John Greenland (of Aeromodeller fame) for his full size replica.

Mark

Ken Pugh

She's looking good, Barry.  It almost looks like a little RC model!

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

I will reproduce that splendid logo on my model Mark,thank you for these useful references.

Ken I have built in the past small free flight models of the Swift no larger than this one,also a larger R/C version which flew beautifully,you are right it does look like a small flying model in these pictures.

John Greenlands replica is exceptional,you can purchase a CNC cut set of fittings for the Comper Swift today,the biggest problem is getting hold of any Pobjoy R engines as that holds the character of this aeroplane.

Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Barry,
I hope this post doesn't take this thread too far off track, if it does, the moderator is welcome to delete it.  I too have built a free flight Swift with 24" span and have a LOT of information on them.  Excellent new web site that didn't exist when I did my research is here:
http://nickcomper.co.uk/

Mark