• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Lockheed Model 22 USAAF P-38 Lightning

Started by lastvautour, February 19, 2011, 08:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

I have finally got around to finishing the Lockheed P-38 Lightning in 'Red Bull' scheme,this is the famous White Lightning that Red Bull commissioned to get totally rebuilt following a serious crash,it has been rebuilt for them at no expense spared from the ground up and turned into a shiny flying machine.
My model shows the correct 7 red bars on the rudder as opposed to the 6 that have been added to the Red Bull machine for some odd reason ? the registration is N25Y.
Lou you can now put this one to bed in the new 2011 models section that you created,please choose from any pictures in the album or those shown here as you think fit.
This model has been a real challenge in many ways,I may just live with these colours for a year or so and possibly change them for another Lightning scheme eventually,there are plenty out there.
All markings including the Red Bull logo on the nose are hand painted with my now shaking hands,it is time consuming but satisfying to see real painted markings,but that is only my opinion,decals are hard to find at 1=27th scale!
Barry.
PS-This model is heavy and impossible to hang up against the sky to take shots of it as I usually do.

Ken Pugh

We have a couple of real nice looking P-38s there.

Hand painting is definitely a skill worth having.  The freedom of hand painting complements the freedom of scratch building.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Excellent model Barry. A photo has been posted to the 2011 Model Construction thread.  May I suggest a photo using the grey fuselage as a background?

Lou

Balsabasher

Thank you Ken & Lou,the recent idea on SMM for making the spinning discs really looks effective as if the engines are running ! this is one idea that will certainly be used again in the future,it looks far more reliastic than plain discs.
Barry.

Ken Pugh

It definitely looks more angry and aggressive!

Ken Pugh